Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Endurance Junkie
349 Posts
look'in to catch a ride

:thumbsup: Would like to find someone to catch a ride to Sedona with for spring fling .Would hope to go up some time on friday, off work at noon don't need to be back till sunday or monday which ever would work . I live in Tucson can split all cost .If you are doing milli on thursday I'll be there, we could see if we gel.Would prefer to camp, does anybody know if there are groups of people camping fri/sat at a certain place in Sedona?

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Weather Alert - New Start Times!!!

Arizona is under an abnormal heat wave for this time of year. Temps are forecast to be in the 90s in Phx and Tucson and in the high 80s in Sedona thru next weekend. This heat, especially this early in the year, catches many people off guard causing heat exhaustion, heat stroke, and at the worse, death. Yes, you could DIE out here!! As a result, we are going to have to start the Fling rides earlier than previously listed.

What each of you riders need to do is start drinking tons of water NOW. "Hydrate" is the word of the week, ok? I advise filling your 100oz bladder to the top and bringing a large water bottle with an electrolyte drink of some sort on each ride. If you only have a 70 oz bladder... go out this week and buy a 100 oz.

Here are my proposed changes to start times:

Wed Hawes: 8 AM ride departure
Thurs La Milagrosa: Meet at LeBuzz at 9 AM... Phx shuttlers meet James and the short bus at 6:30
Thurs AZ Trail: Meet in Vail at 9 AM
Fri SoMo: Meet at 7 AM, last ride departure at 8 AM
Sat Sedona A: still 9AM?? OTB crew will have to make the call as they are the leaders
Sat Sedona B1: 8:30 AM ride departure
Sat Sedona B2: 8:45 AM ride departure
Sat Sedona B3: 9:00 AM ride departure
Sun Prescott rides: still meet at 10 AM (Prescott leaders, let me know if you want earlier times!)
Sun Goat Camp: 8 AM ride departure
Sun Phx Mtn Preserve (T100 etc): 8 AM ride departure

The biggest change is Friday at SoMo. Goal is to send off groups starting at 7:30AM with all rides out by 8AM. Be sure to set your alarm clocks and take TRAFFIC into account to arrive at the meeting area by 7AM!!!

I will be posting these changes on the AZ info thread above and also to the info list in the files section of the yahoogroups site: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AZSF07
Ride times also will be updated each day on the AZSF07 Hotline (480-461-5695). Call the night before for a reminder of when to meet and also to hear of any last minute changes.

-Kathleen

P.S. For next week, here are the forecast high/lows at each ride location:
Wed in Phx: 92/63
Thurs in Tucson: 91/52
Friday in Phoenix: 96/66
Saturday in Sedona: 85/51
Sunday in Prescott: 78/40
Sunday in Phoenix: 93/62

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,373 Posts
Good call on the heat Kathleen and taking it seriously. The Prescott ride times should be good, because it takes people a little while to get here, and it's not going to get all that hot here.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,373 Posts
Without, around 20 miles is what my GPS tells me.

With option one, looking at about 23 miles

With option two, looking at around 31-32 miles (estimate based on topo).

I just did the "option two" part a few minutes ago, and the climb wasn't bad, save for two real loose places, but this takes you WAY OUT and you are going to need a significant amount of water to do it (but there is water available in granite basin). It was fun, but that water is pretty important. It's a good grind to the top though.

Option two adds a good 1000" of absolute vertical to the ride, not to mention the intermediate ups and downs associated with it.

It took me just under an hour and a half, I was trying to not go too fast to replicate what it might be like during the fling ride, and also because there is one section of trail that is new to me. I'm sure it will take quite a bit longer if someone is already fatigued though.

I'm NOT trying to kill anyone or make it seem like this is an "A" ride, I just want options if some people want to get more, depending on that and how many people I have helping me.

·