Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm thinking about planning a trip with my wife down to your fine state to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary sometime around Valentine's Day.

A few questions:

Is there commonly a lot of rideable terrain in that time of the year?
Where should we go?

We'll be coming from MN with pasty white skin and legs that have been off of the bikes for a few months. We both love flowing singletrack, long climbs, and great scenery.

If I can round up some hard cases, we'll bring our bikes with rather than renting. We'll both be riding full rigid; me on the Matt Chester 29" SS and her on a Chester 26" w/ gears.

Not really interested in massively technical downhill courses and hucking big drops. Sweet desert single track would be great and I'd suppose that we'd be good for 2-4 hour efforts.

I love the Tucson area and would like to make that our base camp if possible. However if there are other suggestions as to better places to stay I'm all ears!

Looking at probably five full days of riding.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Feel free to PM me or e-mail at bemho69 at yahoo dot com

Dave

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
i was gonna try and help you but then you said SS Rigid. . . The flowing single track is all covered in snow (flagg / prescott) Leaving you with the Phoenix style riding. . . fun, rocky, sharp. There are trails that have it all, and the weather will be perfect. Check the visitors sticky, and then closer to the time of your trip post up and youll find a bunch of nice willing locals who are usually more than happy to show you around.

So trails . . . T100, Lost Dog, MMP, SOMO, Hawes. There are some beasts out there that ride SOMO SS Rigid, but IMO it would be brutal. But I've never ridden that style, so i cant speak.

Where (what area) are you thinking of staying?

Oh yea. . . Sedona is world class.

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
Desert classic is my favorite trail, and in the SoMo area there are plenty of other short loops, forks in the trail all over the place. I just go riding and take whichever path looks most fun. Boy am I looking for it to start heating up a little come spring... been way too cold here

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cold there?!

Twas a balmy +4F here this morning with the sun shining when I took the dog into the woods for an hour hike. Kind of sick when positive degree readings feel warm.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Sounds like we could find some nice riding in the southern part of the state in mid-Feb!

I have been to Tucson several times, hiked and done some trail running but never saw riders where I was (Sabino Canyon, Catalina Park, and Tucson Mtn. Park). Although the town isn't that easy to get around (lots of stoplights), I really like how it doesn't have all of the glitz that some areas have. I also dig Rosa's, Mi Nidito, and Cafe Poca Cosa. Any other great Mexican suggestions would be appreciated! Also any recommendations of places to stay would be nice. Perhaps renting a small condo with a kitchen?

If there is another area that would be snow-less and rideable (aside from TUS) that you might suggest I'm open to other locales. We definitely like Mex food, Stone beers, and friendly locals.

Please PM me if you would be willing to show us some trails! We'll be somewhat fit from nordic skiing but that first climb will be a *****.

To those of you down there riding SS, is 2:1 manageable or are the climbs too beastly?

Thanks again:thumbsup:

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
digit3: Yes, you can ride in Sedona in Feb. You MIGHT have snow caps up on the red rocks, which is just gorgeous. There might be a tiny bit of snow on the ground.

February is a really, really great time of year to ride everywhere in AZ at about 4000'ish feet and below. Prescott and Flag will probably be snowed in, as will the top of Mt. Lemmon down in Tucson. But all the desert/high-desert rides are going to be primo.

Check our VISITORS READ HERE FIRST sticky at the top of the forum for more details on where to ride, then come back with questions specific to your trip!

p.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Paul!

I was just looking at the Visitor's section and there is a LOT of great info there!

I just need to determine where to set up base camp for the week. PHX is quite a bit cheaper to fly into and has more flight options from MN but my experiences with TUS have been pretty excellent.

Never been to Sedona before but there appears to be tons of riding and good bike shops to assist. Is there a week's worth of riding there? Would the weather/trail conditions be more solid down in TUS?

How important is it to run slime? I don't have Stans on my 29er so we'll both be riding tubed.

Dave

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,340 Posts
Paul B said:
Prescott will probably be snowed in
Unlikely. Trail 307 (spruce mtn) and a little bit of others become impractical when snow gets up there and stays, but most of the time everything below 7000' stays pretty ridable. Right now it's ridable up to about 6500' (just rode last evening), and it's going to melt fast and be back to "normal" pretty soon, but above 7000' it will likely stay icy and such.

That leaves most of the Prescott trails open for riding.

On the other hand it can be a bit chilly in the winter, Sedona and Phoenix are great in the winter.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Jim's right of course. I always think of Spruce Mountain and Thumb Butte as "where you ride in Prescott" but there's no reason you couldn't ride Granite Basin (open, sunny, low), Lynx Lake (low, not heavily treed in) and the other stuff. Unless you're me, and you stumble into the nastiest, stickiest mud you've ever seen every single time you go to Prescott.

EDIT: To answer the rest of your questions:

There's more mileage of trails in PHX than TUC.

Sedona: Make friends with the shop guys and/or troll for riding buddies on this forum and you can probably fill a week with riding in Sedona. I'm sort of Sedona'ed out after about 3 days, though: as beautiful as it is, it's a tourist town. My personal tolerance for that vibe is kind of low.

My personal itinerary for a week of riding and minimum driving would be 2 days in Phoenix, 3 days up in Sedona, a day in Prescott since you're already up there, then come back down for 1 more day in Phoenix and fly out. As much as I love the riding in Tucson, it's just hard to go both north and south. Although...hm. Gas is super-cheap right now. Every city is, like 2 hours from every other city (Tucson to Phoenix, Phoenix to Sedona/Preskitt). I guess that's up to your tolerance for driving each day.

Slime: Pretty important down in the desert. Lots of thorns and sharp rocks. Tubeless is super-popular, at least among the MTBR scenesters.

p.

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
Tuscon, Phoenix, Camelback area, Mesa...

There are trails everywhere in this state, some arent as big or popular as others but it depends what your into. One of my favorites is the mcdowell park area, some nice long singletrack loops over there.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've done Sedona on my rigid SS and while doable, they're much more enjoyable on a geared squishy. :D

The weather here will be mighty nice in February. I might be able to show you around a bit of Tucson's trails, but if I can't there are plenty of others here who'd love to. The Arizona Trail sections near us are fantastic and rigid SS-friendly. If you'll be here for the weekend of the 14th, many of us will be participating in the 24-Hours of the Old Pueblo race put on by Epic Rides (www.epicrides.com). If you're in town you two should come out and watch and see what great event it is.

Take a gander at the websites in my signature. You can find a ton of trail info and a bunch of friendly folks willing to show you two around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.