Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I can't help but notice that many of the women that post here also live in Arizona -- in the Valley of the Sun for that matter. Anyway, I figured it might be fun to meet some of my fellow posters, like for-real and in person. So, how about meeting for a bike ride?

I live in the SouthEast Valley, and could lead a ride either Saturday or Sunday morning at South Mountain, Hawes or Pass Mountain, depending on interests. I'm also happy to travel to another locale in the Phoenix area, but would need to ride with someone familiar with the trails. I'm also free to travel for a day-trip to Prescott/Sedona on Sunday.

Any takers?

Gnarlene

·
Registered
580 Posts
STALKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll bet you're some kinda GUY who changed his handle very slightly to indicate that the Gnarly One is an innocent innocuous female named Gnarlene! Tricky, very tricky.......

So why aren't you in Canmore?

Howzyer foot?

Howzyer truck?

Howzyer monsoon?

It's definitely fall here, complete with yellow leaves and everything.

Hey to Skogan.

Ken

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hehe...

AK Ken said:
STALKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll bet you're some kinda GUY who changed his handle very slightly to indicate that the Gnarly One is an innocent innocuous female named Gnarlene! Tricky, very tricky.......

So why aren't you in Canmore?

Howzyer foot?

Howzyer truck?

Howzyer monsoon?

It's definitely fall here, complete with yellow leaves and everything.

Hey to Skogan.

Ken
Re Canmore: I'm working on it. Lots and lots of paperwork. I have most of the paperwork completed. All I have left are college transcripts, an official letter from one of my previous employers, and written proof that I'm proficient in English. (Do you think pointing to this website and saying "Look for me under the handle of 'Gnarlene'" would work?)

Re foot: My foot is getting better, so that's good. I still have some problems, though. (1) I can't stand on my toes. Meaning I cannot rock climb in rock shoes at all. I have successfully gone climbing in mountaineering boots. It just takes a different technique, and I can't climb at as high of a grade. This also means that traditional XC skiing is painful. I will be trying Radonee-style skiing when the Canucks let me into their country. (2) I'm also experiencing some pain on the tendon that was reconstructed. The most painful activity is a long downhill -- the kind of downhill that I just love.... I will be wrapping my foot from now on, when I have lot of downhilling, but I'm still rather disappointed by that particular fact.

Re truck: Well, they totalled my trusty old 4Runner (1990). I ended up with a 1997 4Runner, in the same color as the old one. I do miss the old truck....but I'm sure glad I still have my body in decent shape, and not disfigured from an accident of that sort. I'm really quite lucky.

Re monsoon: Finally. Man, it's been YEARS since we've seen a nice monsoon like this. Did you read my haboob story?

Re fall: Huh? What are yellow leaves? ;) Still waiting for the temps to cool down in the deserts...but the monsoon is keeping things right around the 100 degree mark, so we've really had a very nice summer so far.

Re Skogs: This week is the big Canmore Gathering. He's mighty busy showing the attendees the all of excellent riding that the Canadian Rockies has to offer. The Rockies had quite a wildflower season this year....so I hope the attendees are getting a taste of that, too. Oh, I think I have Skogs talked into a 2 week vacation to Alaska next summer...so expect some emails from us, as we begin the planning process....

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yes, I did read the 'haboob' story, though I wasn't sure I should. I used to love to be out in the wildest weather possible. Now, not so much, but I can remember.

Bummer about your tendon, but keep working on it. A lot of relatively hard routes were climbed in stiff soled boots. (not what you kids call hard NOW, of course, but back in the day....) I used to have a pair of Royal Robbins blue suede shoes that I put a smooth friction sole on and left the heel so I had some control on the snowfields in Colorado, but a kind of shmeary sole for the friction spots and a stiff boot for sideways edging. Geez, I'm getting sewing machine leg just thinking about it!

We'd LOVE to see you guys up here anytime! Bring Spike if you like (but leave that whiner Celly at home =)))))))!!!!!!!!!!

Say hey to the Durt Gurl if you see her.

Ken

·
Registered
656 Posts
i thought about coming into phoenix for a ride(i live west of the estrellas)but I10 is closed eastbound from 43rd ave to 27th ave. the detour would take me through a neighborhood that i dont want to travel in in semi-light conditions or alone. maybe another time when the freeway is open. i have gotten stuck in 2 such detours in the last month, they are very unpleasant, to say the least.

i will be riding at white tank park tomorrow(sunday), on the trail by 6:30a.m. if anyone wants to join me. or i could meet someone at dreamy draw park(i can take the northbound 101 on the westside to northern). just let me know.

thanks for the invite, gnarlene. too bad about the road closure. :(

Rita
p.s. gnarlene, i am not sure you want to ride with an old phart like me, and i chose the tortoise name for good reason(read:slow). also, i am not a strong technical rider(read:crap rider). i am in it for the fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry I'm slow responding

Gnarlene,
Didn't see this post until Sunday night. Anyway, ....
I've often wondered why there isn't a more active women's scene here in AZ. I'd love to join you for a ride. I live next to South Mountain, very close to the desert classic trail. I often ride in the early morning hours before work, and, while I try to avoid the crowds on the weekends, I'd be willing to make an exception to get together with some other biking ladies. If you're interested (either early am or next Saturday), let me know. I could probably persuade a few other women I know to possibly join us, if their schedules are open. Obviously, south mountain is very convenient for me, but I can go other places too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, no rides this last weekend...

I'm know that I'm going to be busy for a couple of weekends, but maybe we can all get together when the weather starts getting nice.

Is anyone going to the Valle Redondo Festival this weekend?

Fun rides are the name of the game for me....I don't care too much about the pace, as long as it isn't too terribly fast.... :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
any big bike women?

Hello all, I'm pretty new to this forum, but I also live in the Phoenix area. I was wondering if there where any women who downhill or freeride in the area. I usually shuttle South Mountain on the weekends if my husband and I are not riding up in Flag or Sunrise. During the week I ride Papago, the dirt jump area mostly. This Saturday we will ride National to 24th street from Buena Vista if anyone is up for a shuttle. Sunday we are going to check out some trails out of Globe. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Dru :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.