Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Something goes here...
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are many people racing in this event? Three of my buddies and I are coming down from Seattle to race there. I think we're going to do two 2-man teams. I'm curious what the course is like. Is it really rocky? sandy? Lots of hills? We're used to hills and that's where we do most of our damage in a race. We're good tech riders too so I'm just wondering what to expect for this course.

Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Which one? The one in Phx over Halloween? The course is probably on the medium to beginner level when it come to technical (really, the only technical aspect of it is you can get going pretty fast on some loose, rocky (shale) sections. But IMO, it's something anybody can handle (beginners included).

The course is pretty flat, with one maybe 1/4 long climb, but nothing to write home about, so you're not gonig to make up any time on hills, cuz their ain't any. It's 10 miles, give or take, and lap times were between 45 to an 1:10 (I think there might have been a sub 40 min lap last year).

If you're talking Tucson in Feb., even less technical, longer (14 miles), no hills, and a fricking blast.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
I have not raced the course, but know it well (Phoenix). Concur with Skinny-Tire. Just wanted to add that my friend from Tucson refuses to do the race because he says it beats him up too much. He is on a hardtail and is a professional racer and mountain goat. I guess if you are really flying on the course, it could kind of beat you up.

·
Something goes here...
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We're going to do the one over Halloween. It sounds like we need to work on more speed work than hills. The course is slightly shorter and sounds a lot easier than what we're used to. So we should be able to handle the 2-man teams. This will be the first time we've attempted 2-man teams.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Oh, why didn't you say you were doing a duo. In that case, the course is hell long, extremely technical, uphill the entire way (zero downhill), and it will likley be raining and snowing.

Oh, btw, I'm doing it duo too. Maybe we can make a friendly wager :)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I've ridden the McDowell race loops several times (never in a race though). The first time I went out there was on my newly converted Mongoose IBOC singlespeed with a rigid fork and canti brakes. I outran 2 of my friends on their geared, full suspension bikes.

The point... even with cheap brakes, no suspension and 2:1 gears, it wasn't that bad...

I'd love to do this race, but I can't afford to run it solo, can't find 4 people to commit to a 5 person team, and I still need to get decent set of lights. I'm seriously considering just throwing down the big $$$ on my credit card, entering solo singlespeed and either beg, borrow, or stea... uh, I mean buy a nice set of lights.

Reality says I'm probably just going to do the 100 mile Soul Ride though.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Yea, that is my biggest complaint about the Adrenalin: cost (and it's corporate atmosphere). But you are right, McDowells in SS heaven.

Have you done Old Pueblo? IMO, 1000% better than the McDowell race, and it has nothing to do with course, which is a snoozer.

P.S. I think we rode together a couple weeks ago. You have the Fuel? I might know somebody who is looking for a teammate for the Oct. race, if you are considering it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
No actually, I have a blue Liquid aka the 'REK', I also have a 29er singlespeed.

The Liquid wouldn't be a good choice for a 24hr bike, its just waaay too heavy for a course like the Mc Dowells. Ideally, I would like to do a 5 person singlespeed team, but I'm sure I could find a choice geared ride for the event.

skinny-tire said:
Yea, that is my biggest complaint about the Adrenalin: cost (and it's corporate atmosphere). But you are right, McDowells in SS heaven.

Have you done Old Pueblo? IMO, 1000% better than the McDowell race, and it has nothing to do with course, which is a snoozer.

P.S. I think we rode together a couple weeks ago. You have the Fuel? I might know somebody who is looking for a teammate for the Oct. race, if you are considering it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Adrenaline race

I have done this race the past couple of years and it is pretty fun. The course is not technical at all, but fast and fun. The entry fee's are pretty steep and there are two other races in AZ that weekend - what are these guys thinking!! I am doing the soul ride 100 this year and skipping the adrenaline race - it was a hard decision but the entry fees swayes me. Anyway, have a blast with the race!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'd rather do the Adrenaline race, but I agree with you... unless I get a sponsor and a set of Nite Rider HID lights in the next month, keep an eye out for a bright orange 29er singlespeed in the 100 mile Soul Ride....

Speaking of 100 miles, anyone doing the Sedona to Flag ride this Saturday?

tamen00 said:
I have done this race the past couple of years and it is pretty fun. The course is not technical at all, but fast and fun. The entry fee's are pretty steep and there are two other races in AZ that weekend - what are these guys thinking!! I am doing the soul ride 100 this year and skipping the adrenaline race - it was a hard decision but the entry fees swayes me. Anyway, have a blast with the race!

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
I don't think Adrenaline can catch a break. They moved it from April because of the MBAA series. This time around, I think they had the date announced before Epic announced their date. Have no idea if it was intentional, but I if wasn't already committed (my entry fee was waived in place of raising money), I'd do the Soul Ride.

What is the other race that weekend?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hmm, its more like a semi-organized ride.... hmmm... informal organized ride.
Its a 'Kristi' ride, and so far... they've always been EXCELLENT!

skinny-tire said:
I'm partially commited to doing a Flag to Sedona ride. Is the one your talking to an event, or an organized ride?

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Yea, that's the one, but I thought it was a shuttle to Flag, and then riding back to Sedona. Is it really 100 miles? She told me it was 41. Instead of asking for a hall pass, I'm trying the sneaky way around and convincing the SO she can handle it. I'm i big trouble if she finds out it's 60 more miles that expected.

·
Something goes here...
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was wondering if I would need the Id but it appears that my 24 lb. Sugar will be perfect for the course.

Thanks for all the input fellas!

I'm actually moving to AZ in about 1.5 years. I'd like to know some locals there to hook up with once I do move. Once we know our team name, I'll let ya know. Then we can have a beer together the night b/4 the race or something.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
funboarder1971 said:
Hmm, its more like a semi-organized ride.... hmmm... informal organized ride.
Its a 'Kristi' ride, and so far... they've always been EXCELLENT!
Kristi actually boot strapped her group onto another group's plan, thus, it is not technically a Kristi ride. It is not even close to 100 miles, more like the 41. You can do it in 3.5 hours if you wanted to, but with lunch and the expected casual pace, it will take longer. Oh, by the way, I have never actually done it, but have done some legal research on it.

I am going by the way and I have two kids, so my hall pass is really an accomplishment. Jeff, what does the SO want you to do instead - house shop, clean the house, visit her parents? Let me talk to her. I am very convincing and will ensure your safe return. My work number is 602.254.9900 (ask for the Geoff Jeff and not the Jeff Jeff). Its a free consultation too.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Nevermind. You wanted to take her along too and 100 miles would probably scare her away. I am so obsessed with hall passes that I just failed to register your comments. I hope I did not upset you, but if I did, eh, yea, you know the rest.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Never mind me... I'm the last person you should pay attention to when it comes to details.

She never confirmed it to be 100 miles. I just guessed thats what it was when she referred to it being in Cosmic Rays book.

If you guys say its 41 miles... I believe it!

Dirdir said:
Nevermind. You wanted to take her along too and 100 miles would probably scare her away. I am so obsessed with hall passes that I just failed to register your comments. I hope I did not upset you, but if I did, eh, yea, you know the rest.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Are you still mad at me for getting advice about the collection agency? If so, those jackasses are still harassing me (but to be honest, I actually enjoy telling them they can kiss my ass; next time they call I'm giving them your number, how the hell do they know how you spell your name). What do you think you deserve for fair compensation? I have a helmet with a metal rod on the top. Want that?

Bring the kiddies along.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.