Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surprisingly to me at least, there is not a lot on here on the AXS Reverb.

I have 150 Fox Transfers on my go-to FS and HT bikes. They function flawlessly, except the one one on my FS would be better at 170.

I got an AXS RD this year when my X01 RD crapped out on me. I have been ecstatic with it.

Any horror stories with the AXS Reverb? I am close to throwing down on one.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
The only complaint I've had with mine is that the bushing will eventually wear out causing a weird movement with the post. Feels like a loose headset. I'm used to some lateral movement with all droppers (which you can't feel while riding) but you can feel it on the AXS.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Love mine. Zero issues and love how easy it is to install and operate.

I live in an area where several trails are rolling tight single track with plenty of tech, so the dropper gets used a ton, even on climbs.

The big thing I didn’t expect to be a benefit was the lack of “lever throw”. Hit the button and boom, dropper is ready to do its job. Actuation is instantaneous and super easy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Love mine. Zero issues and love how easy it is to install and operate.

I live in an area where several trails are rolling tight single track with plenty of tech, so the dropper gets used a ton, even on climbs.

The big thing I didn’t expect to be a benefit was the lack of “lever throw”. Hit the button and boom, dropper is ready to do its job. Actuation is instantaneous and super easy.
Same.

I got mine this spring (along with AXS GX upgrade kit) and have been enjoying it all year long!

·
Registered
Revel Rascal, Mach 4sl
401 Posts
Mine worked for about a week before going squishy, and the vent valve never fully removed the squish. Plus whenever I accidentally picked up my bike by the seat the post went completely squishy again. I loved how easy it was to use and it was a good post in function just not reliable enough for me to keep it around with other cable options that work very similarly.

·
Registered
19,356 Posts
Mine worked for about a week before going squishy, and the vent valve never fully removed the squish. Plus whenever I accidentally picked up my bike by the seat the post went completely squishy again. I loved how easy it was to use and it was a good post in function just not reliable enough for me to keep it around with other cable options that work very similarly.

Did they send you a new one? I've found Sram to be extremely generous with warranty issues, especially on their high end stuff.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back in the day, the one commandment for non-AXS Reverbs was “Thou shalt not pick up thy bike by the seat, unless thy dropper is fully extended”. Or something like that. Not saying your post wasn’t extended when you lifted it (I don’t know), or that this still applies with AXS Reverbs, but I have lived by that motto since the early days of droppers and never had an issue with a half dozen Reverbs, as well as numerous Transfers and other droppers.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did they send you a new one? I've found Sram to be extremely generous with warranty issues, especially on their high end stuff.
Me too, although I seem to be in a small club of never having an issue with a Reverb. Good intentions aside, I suspect supply issues are likely an issue with SRAM these days.

·
Registered
Revel Rascal, Mach 4sl
401 Posts
Back in the day, the one commandment for non-AXS Reverbs was “Thou shalt not pick up thy bike by the seat, unless thy dropper is fully extended”. Or something like that. Not saying your post wasn’t extended when you lifted it (I don’t know), or that this still applies with AXS Reverbs, but I have lived by that motto since the early days of droppers and never had an issue with a half dozen Reverbs, as well as numerous Transfers and other droppers.
Admittedly I was picking it up by the seat when it was compressed, It was usually when loading or unloading from my bike rack or when doing a hike a bike. It's not a deal breaker but it bugged me to know my post could go squishy by just picking it up by the seat accidentally.

·
Registered
19,356 Posts
I'm sure Sram would have sent me a new one I just wasn't interested and sold it instead.

Man, I couldn't turn down a free ~$1,000 post. Also no way would I buy a non-working used one.

I can understand not liking them if you've had issues but so far the ones I've dealt with have seemed really solid, unlike the hydro-actuated reverbs of old.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@flipnidaho @FrankS29 @TrekWarMachine and others…

What post are you guys coming from?

I love my Transfer but like I said, it’s a tad too short on the “sink your post, $hit your pants” steep stuff. It in no way holds me back, but I suspect some of those descents might be a little less dramatic with a longer dropper than my 150 Transfer. I love my AXS drivetrain so much that I’m thinking I may love the AXS dropper just as much.

It’s a tough bullet to bite financially but relative to other stuff some of my buddies are into, high end bike stuff is still not too bad. I can think of much worse ways to spend my hard earned money.

Sounds like some one off issues (which I KNOW my LBS and SRAM will cover me on, subject to supply issues), and subject to any horror stories pouring in, sounds like the AXS dropper is a green light.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
My last few droppers were PNW Bachelors. Really good droppers at an awesome price. But I did want to change out the Bachelor on my Ripley since I had to run it with a shim since I built up my Ripley with a bunch of take off parts from my old bike.

I knew it would only be temporary, and I expected to replace it with the PNW Loam. But with horrible availability and my strong desire to try the AXS dropper I decided to treat myself. Both my old Bachelor and my AXS are 170mm drops. That’s plenty of drop for me.

Yeah, the price is hard to justify. It was a pour a stiff drink, close your eyes and hit the “Confirm Order” button type of order.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Admittedly I was picking it up by the seat when it was compressed, It was usually when loading or unloading from my bike rack or when doing a hike a bike. It's not a deal breaker but it bugged me to know my post could go squishy by just picking it up by the seat accidentally.
The Reverb AXS came with a burping tool to fix this issue. Looks like a T-handle wrench.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No horror stories here, I love everything about mine, except the price. But once you start using it, you get over that pretty quick.
I don't know anyone who has had a problem with one. And I think it's generally a bad idea to pick a bike up by the dropper post, no matter what kind it is.

·
This place needs an enema
17,682 Posts
I've had one on my daily driver since spring.

Didn't want an e-post. Didn't really have a choice with the weird frame it's mounted to.

It has been great. Still have some anxiety that it'll run out of batt on a ride, but (apparently) not enough for me to charge it more than ~once a month.

Wish the actuator on the bars was smaller/less pointy. Haven't impacted it yet, but the potential is there.

Gave some thought to using the smaller SRAM "blips" to solve this but a cursory glance at what it would take sent me packing. So much $$$, so much added complexity.

Hasn't yet gone squishy. Quite possibly because I have not yet lifted the bike by the saddle when the post is compressed...

1 - 20 of 99 Posts