Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into posts since I hear on the small 5 Spots, a QR seat collar will not work due to the rockers hitting them.

Yes, I know the Gravity Droppers are cool and very functional, but I just would rather wait until the price comes down on those. Just like computers, plasma TVs, disc brakes, and suspension forks, when the technology catches up, prices drop. So.

Axiom makes an a QR post that you clamp in with a regular bolt-on seat collar, then use the QR on the post itself for height adjustment. Its only $60, about the price of a Thompson.

Has anyone used these posts on their bikes? Where can they be had?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
myitch said:
Yes, I know the Gravity Droppers are cool and very functional, but I just would rather wait until the price comes down on those. Just like computers, plasma TVs, disc brakes, and suspension forks, when the technology catches up, prices drop.
It's probably not what you want to hear, but if you can swing it get the Gravity Dropper or the slightly less expensive DecenderPost. You won't regret it.

Unlike the other mass-market consumer products you mentioned (especially the electronics), the price of GDs aren't likely to come down soon since the makers effectively have a monopoly on a niche market. There's no competitive market for this type of seatpost...yet. I think I read in some thread here today that even the new pneumatic Maverick post won't be available in a 'Spot friendly diameter.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I hear ya. The Gravity Dropper is a great product, no doubt. Not only does the Maverick post not come in 27.2, it is also $220 and has no remote. Might as well get the GD.

But I cannot spend any more dough. Paying for my new 5 Spot is already pushing it.

So, has anyone used or have the Axiom on their bikes?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes, it is deliciously nice to have the GD, but not totally necessary. Finances force absolute necessity only at this point.

As for clearance, the shop dude told me it wouldn't work, including the Salsa flipped around. He rode a small Spot so I figured he knows. Anyone else out there have any luck with QR seat collars on a small frame? Maybe that's what I should pose as a question instead.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I'm with Clyde here. You are buying and expensive frame and putting generally expensive parts on it. Drawing the line at something so deliciously functional as the Descender Post is, um..... a little weird. I would skimp on various other components until you "save" an extra $100 to pay the diff to upgrade to the DP. Just my opinion, of course.

BTW, I think not all post QRs make contact. I bet a Salsa turned backwards would work.

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
myitch said:
Im looking into posts since I hear on the small 5 Spots, a QR seat collar will not work due to the rockers hitting them.

Yes, I know the Gravity Droppers are cool and very functional, but I just would rather wait until the price comes down on those. Just like computers, plasma TVs, disc brakes, and suspension forks, when the technology catches up, prices drop. So.

Axiom makes an a QR post that you clamp in with a regular bolt-on seat collar, then use the QR on the post itself for height adjustment. Its only $60, about the price of a Thompson.

How aboout this one...http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=25857&lsubcat_id=7555&lcat_id=7604&referpage=

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
It's Fine.

myitch said:
Thanks AZ. that looks like it should work. nice and narrow. only question is how durable is it?
I used one on my Burner for a year, cause the salsa wouldn't fit without removing some powdercoat. The guy I sold the frame to is still using it. I think I only paid a few bucks for it. It doesn't open as easily as the Salsa on my Spot, cause it was hard to get my fingers under the lever, but I used the hell out of it on our more techinical trails.
Later.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
myitch said:

I used the Axiom telescoping post when I rode a FSR. Was an OK post. Not as pretty as a Thomson. Heavy. Did not bend and it had reasonable saddle adjustment. Will I purchase another one? Probably not, unless I purchase an interupted seat tube design again.

(figured someone should answer the original question ;) )

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
myitch said:
Thanks AZ. that looks like it should work. nice and narrow. only question is how durable is it?
Hope QR clamps work fine without hitting as you can rotate the lever up and away from the rockers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Clyde S Dale said:
I think I read in some thread here today that even the new pneumatic Maverick post won't be available in a 'Spot friendly diameter.
FYI - i emailed Maverick last week and they informed me that they would have a 27.2 Speedball seatpost out within this year.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SCUBAPRO said:
Hope QR clamps work fine without hitting as you can rotate the lever up and away from the rockers.
The Hope QRs look cool too and have easier operation than that Supergo one. So, you used this one on your 5 Spot too? THanks.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
myitch said:
The Hope QRs look cool too and have easier operation than that Supergo one. So, you used this one on your 5 Spot too? THanks.
I use Hope QR collars on both my Five Spot and Six Pack. I ride small size so I have had a problem with rockers not clearing Salsa collars. I do not have any clearance issues with Hopes.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
SCUBAPRO said:
I use Hope QR collars on both my Five Spot and Six Pack. I ride small size so I have had a problem with rockers not clearing Salsa collars. I do not have any clearance issues with Hopes.
I have a Hope on my small Pack - no issues.

Scuba - how about a CCDB ride report??

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ScubaPro and SSinga,

How tall are you both and what are your inseams? I'm right at the cusp of small and medium at 5' 6.5" and haven't had time to test ride both sizes yet.

Thanks for the FYI on the Hope collars too. Hope it is then.

006_007,

Thanks for answering my original question too! Its all too easy to get sidetracked on these discussions. Right on!

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
5' 7" with a cycling inseam of 31.5"; pants usually a 29-30". I'm a little longer in the torso.

I run a 90mm stem on the Pack with 1.5" rise bars and a 3/4" spacer below the stem.

I struggled with the small and medium - Casey at Turner told me to go with the small FWIW.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SSINGA said:
5' 7" with a cycling inseam of 31.5"; pants usually a 29-30". I'm a little longer in the torso.

I run a 90mm stem on the Pack with 1.5" rise bars and a 3/4" spacer below the stem.

I struggled with the small and medium - Casey at Turner told me to go with the small
FWIW.
That is exactly what I have now and intend to run on the Spot - 90mm stem, 1.5 rise bars, 3/4" spacers. Wow, you must have seen my bike! HA. You have longer legs than I and the small was still better for you.

ScubaPro. What about you?

So far its really looking like a small.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
e.y. said:
FYI - i emailed Maverick last week and they informed me that they would have a 27.2 Speedball seatpost out within this year.
Thanks for the heads up. I just checked out Maverick's website. The Mav Speedball only drops 3 inches as opposed to the Gravity Dropper and DescenderPost's available 4 inches. The Mav is certainly a lot cleaner looking, though.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
myitch said:
That is exactly what I have now and intend to run on the Spot - 90mm stem, 1.5 rise bars, 3/4" spacers. Wow, you must have seen my bike! HA. You have longer legs than I and the small was still better for you.

ScubaPro. What about you?

So far its really looking like a small.
I'm 5' 4" with a 30" inseam. I run a 100mm x 5 stem, 1" rise protaper bar, 15mm spacer on a small spot.

I run a 70mm x 0 stem, 2" rise protaper and 15mm spacer on my Pack.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.