Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know whether the Manitou Axel Super 2005 is supposed to have the Microlube grease ports on the lowers? The website just says "grease" under lubrication. The 2005 manual states that this fork HAS microlube ports. The model I bought has NONE.
This fork seemed like a good buy with TPC damping as well as travel-, rebound- and compression damping. No preload adjustment possible due to the RTWD(Rapid travel wind down) mechanism, i guess cranking the travel down from max. will preload the coil spring to some extent.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I know the product manual says your fork is supposed to have microlube ports however,
I think that's just a carry over from previous manuals and that whoever proof read the material didn't do a stellar job. Bottom line, I think microlube is done.
goatman said:
Does anyone know whether the Manitou Axel Super 2005 is supposed to have the Microlube grease ports on the lowers? The website just says "grease" under lubrication. The 2005 manual states that this fork HAS microlube ports. The model I bought has NONE.
This fork seemed like a good buy with TPC damping as well as travel-, rebound- and compression damping. No preload adjustment possible due to the RTWD(Rapid travel wind down) mechanism, i guess cranking the travel down from max. will preload the coil spring to some extent.

·
otb club member
2,989 Posts
lebikerboy said:
I know the product manual says your fork is supposed to have microlube ports however,
I think that's just a carry over from previous manuals and that whoever proof read the material didn't do a stellar job. Bottom line, I think microlube is done.
Well, in effect you are right that Microlube is done, yet they are still producing "grease-lubricated forks." Now, instead of just squirting some PrepM through the ports, you have to yank the lowers and grease everything manually. Pretty cheap of them, if you ask me (which no one did...).

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Chris2fur said:
Well, in effect you are right that Microlube is done, yet they are still producing "grease-lubricated forks." Now, instead of just squirting some PrepM through the ports, you have to yank the lowers and grease everything manually. Pretty cheap of them, if you ask me (which no one did...).
I agree with Chris. That was plain silly.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Warp2003 said:
I agree with Chris. That was plain silly.
Hey Chris2Fur, I have one last question regarding the Black Platinum... what quantity of oil is used in the damping chamber?? Most of the forks either state a cc amount or a depth. Can't find anything for this one. BTW, this is a 90-120mm fork. Thanks again!

·
It's all ball bearings
223 Posts
2005 Axel Comp does not have ports

No ports- I have a brand new 05 axle comp (no ports) 100mm w/ lockout that came on a new Trek Fuel 70- Im selling - PM me if interested

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You get what you pay for.....

Chris2fur said:
I wish Manitou R&D had asked you!! I bought this fork as it was the cheapest option with TPC damping for my wife's bike. She's only 120lb so removal of the central booster spring leaves only the main coil which has a soft/low spring rate. Even with lots of grease it started clicking on compression after I unthreaded the central booster coil. Might try electrician's shrinkwrap.
Last gripe is that the Compression adjustment lever is super loose(lock-out stopped working too) with no notchy clicks to keep it from rotating, should be fine for tarmac, but come on Manitou this fork is meant for a mountain bike! I'll devise a solution to that problem myself, hopefully aesthetically pleasing!!
The fork has been returned to Manitou for a replacement....

·
otb club member
2,989 Posts
COMMITTED said:
Hey Chris2Fur, I have one last question regarding the Black Platinum... what quantity of oil is used in the damping chamber?? Most of the forks either state a cc amount or a depth. Can't find anything for this one. BTW, this is a 90-120mm fork. Thanks again!
2004 Black Platinum non-SPV calls for 110-120mm (4.3-4.7"). This manual is still available on Answer's website. Just be sure to get the service manual, not the owner's manual (or, better yet, get both).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts