Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a great saddle. Nino, and others, thanks for all you past posts on this saddle.
I got the thing after suffering the German order form, paying more money than my wife
should ever know, being surprised by the 100$ shipping fee to the US, and after that $100,
the thing came in a dented - no crushed - cardboard box from UPS. I was like a boy,
opening the package in the UPS parking lot. It was so light, but so fragile, and hard as
a rock.
I spent a few days fretting about my clamp, and whether it had enough surface area.
Then I rounded the edges of the (Time) clamp and went for it.
The first few minutes on the saddle it felt as hard as it looked in the parking lot. But,
I rode it for an hour and it seemed like it had potential. Certainly the numbness of parts was gone.
I've had it for a little over a week, ridden probably four or five times, and it keeps getting better. I've been fine tuning the pitch for best comfort - nose a bit up.
I have not tried the Aliente, that might be more comfortable for me. But I am very happy with this.
I've had several rides of 90 minutes with it, over paved but somewhat rough roads.
A little sore near the end. Today, 75 minutes, and just fine tuning the pitch. Other than that I didn't think about it.
Axel gave me a money back guarantee, but I don't think I'll be needing it.
Already, this saddle is much more comfortable than the San Marco it replaced, and I'll spare you the details.

-Dave

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
cool....

winchell said:
This is a great saddle. Nino, and others, thanks for all you past posts on this saddle.
I got the thing after suffering the German order form, paying more money than my wife
should ever know, being surprised by the 100$ shipping fee to the US, and after that $100,
the thing came in a dented - no crushed - cardboard box from UPS. I was like a boy,
opening the package in the UPS parking lot. It was so light, but so fragile, and hard as
a rock.
I spent a few days fretting about my clamp, and whether it had enough surface area.
Then I rounded the edges of the (Time) clamp and went for it.
The first few minutes on the saddle it felt as hard as it looked in the parking lot. But,
I rode it for an hour and it seemed like it had potential. Certainly the numbness of parts was gone.
I've had it for a little over a week, ridden probably four or five times, and it keeps getting better. I've been fine tuning the pitch for best comfort - nose a bit up.
I have not tried the Aliente, that might be more comfortable for me. But I am very happy with this.
I've had several rides of 90 minutes with it, over paved but somewhat rough roads.
A little sore near the end. Today, 75 minutes, and just fine tuning the pitch. Other than that I didn't think about it.
Axel gave me a money back guarantee, but I don't think I'll be needing it.
Already, this saddle is much more comfortable than the San Marco it replaced, and I'll spare you the details.

-Dave
100$ for shipping? man you got ripped off! next time you should ask other guys first if you are looking for exotic parts ;)

a Tune Concorde might have been as comfortable and costs much less as well. anyway - if the saddle fits it's already worth every penny. i have had good experiences with all different kinds of ultralight carbon saddles. no one would believe that these things actually have more comfort than regular saddles do.

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
from what i've seen from pics

of nino he is lucky to be getting 90 min a week in, that is why he has "no issues"
with his stuff. under real riding his bike would last about 2 weeks then stuff would break
and wear out. i can assure you he isnt putting any real time on the bike. he doesnt even
wrap his road handlebar below the hoods, so basically he is riding on the tops up to
the frozen yogurt shop.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I can relate to the enthusiasm about the carbon saddles - they are amazing. The Tune Concord is more comfortable then padded saddles I've had in the past mated to suspension seatposts! When I first sat on the Concord I thought it was going to destroy my hindquarters as well as snap in half - it didn't do either. TBH my current success might have to do with a more compliant frame and tubeless tires. But I loaned my concord/becker to a fixed gear friend, who, so far, loves it and he WAS using a PADDED saddle before. He is not a weight weenie and uses his bike for commuting.

I'm trying out a Speedneedle which is a little firmer than the concord. I looked into a Phoenix until they indicated on the invoice that it was road only - they had that crazy 75 euro shipping fee.

Nino's use of ceramic rims tells me he takes his riding pretty seriously. I have to admit that I usually don't ride longer than two hours but even so most of it is offroad and I have never been sore with the Tune Concord.

I'm not sure though if carbon saddles are appropriate for heavier riders. My Concord started to get some small breaks in the clear coat with a little fiber sticking out. This was very small and hard to see near where it curves the most to reach/transform into the rails. However it still seems to still work but that is why I loaned it to a friend who is somewhat lighter than me. I also wrecked with it once too! Lets not forget that the SLR has had problems breaking.

Cheers on the fancy new saddle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have wondered why more pros don't ride the ax saddles. I think if they were it would have been an easier decision to try the saddle. I do admit that I was motivated by the weight savings. I'm not going to torture myself on this thing to save the weight. I want to be able to ride 90-120 minutes 4-6 times a week and not have a sore butt or sores on that butt.
For most bike parts I buy there is the initial enthusiasm, followed by reality. I'm probably still in phase 1 on this part.

-Dave

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have done 9 hour ride with my AX lightness apollo sl and it felt comfortable the whole ride unlike the selle italia slr. After 6 hours my arse is totally numb with slr so -> less weight/padding -> more comfortable

·
Registered
196 Posts
N.T said:
I have done 9 hour ride with my AX lightness apollo sl and it felt comfortable the whole ride unlike the selle italia slr. After 6 hours my arse is totally numb with slr so -> less weight/padding -> more comfortable
Probably has more to do with the shape of the saddle than with it being lighter and with less padding.

I have a Tune Concorde and although it's VERY comfortable initially after about an hour and a half it starts to hurt a bit. My sit bones (or the meat that covers them) become sore and feel like they're bruised. Another thing I don't like about the all carbon saddles is they tend to be a bit slippery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.