Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started riding again about 3 weeks ago and I have recently been having awful pain in the upper area of my tailbone. It doesn't hurt too terribly bad while I'm riding but when I get off I have tremendous pain getting on and off of chairs.

I'm only 21 but this pain is seriously starting to bother me. I plan on taking a few days off riding but I'm not sure what else to do in order to a) prevent future injury and b) make the pain go away.

Any suggestions????

·
Registered
46 Posts
Heh, after 20+ years of not riding, I knew I would need a pair myself. I wear them under baggy cargo shorts and it works out great on my butt. The second day of riding, I was a bit tender on the muscle, but after about 5 mins I'm good.

drr, try doing around 20 situps with a pillow under your arse before riding. Do other general stretching excersizes. If that doesn't work, you could have a pinched sciatic nerve. To find that out, find a reputable chiropractor. Get it x-rayed and maybe some adjusting.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Head with your bike over to your best local bike shop. Have someone check your fit & position on the bike-- perhaps you are too "upright", which places excessive pressure on the tailbone. Possible adjustments-- longer stem, lower handlebars, saddle position (height, fore/aft & tilt). Rlith is correct that what you have could also have some kind of lower back strain. A lot of seated climbing is hard on the lower back, esp. if your riding position is suboptimal. The same adjustments apply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.