Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends

I usually ride with a backpack or Camelbak but this year I wanna try to keep my body free of stuff.

The obvious choice would be a saddel bag but I really like the concept of the Awesome Strap.

Only problem is, I don't like going out on the trail without my multitool and it doesnt seem like the strap is able to hold tool, tube, co2 pump and tirelevers all at once.

One option is getting two straps. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
254 Posts
just get a good saddle bag

if you don't protect your tube it will be garbage when you need it

that strap may be cool for a race or something but for everyday riding it's doubtful

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I don't see the point. It holds less, your stuff gets filthy, and it really doesn't look that secure. I'd get a saddle bag and leave it at that. At least you can carry more especially small stuff like chain links and a spare hanger and whatnot.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
RAKC
7,602 Posts
I have a saddle bag just big enough for co2s, tool, lever, little pouch built into flap for patches. And I can just stuff my keys in too barely. I have another one that has a bit more space and expands if needed I use when I take my oldest boy so I can throw cliff bars and extra co2 in as well.

Many also use a hydro pack so they have storage there instead, well say more most.

Straps keep things hidden but space is very limited and impractical in most cases except racing.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I keep my tire levers and a patch kit in my seat post. In the saddle bag i have my tube, multitool, chain links, zip ties, some folded duct tape, rubber gloves, car key, advil, spare screws for brake rotors and cables, and some other random things stuffed in there. Then I have my top tube bag for my phone, gps, smokes, bars, etc. I have a frame pump, so I don't have to carry co2. If I used a strap, I'd be prepared for nothing lol

·
Registered
685 Posts
If you absolutely must have one of these to be complete, then couple it with a ziplock bag to protect your stuff.

·
I like bikes.
309 Posts
It holds less, your stuff gets filthy, and it really doesn't look that secure.
Copy/paste? How original.:nono:

I don't see the point. It holds less, your stuff gets filthy, and it really doesn't look that secure. I'd get a saddle bag and leave it at that. At least you can carry more especially small stuff like chain links and a spare hanger and whatnot.

I have a seat bag. It used to bounce on hard impacts. It's the quick release type, but at the end of last season, I cut 2 slices on the top of the pack and burned the openings to stop them from spreading. I then ran a ziptie around the bottom of my seat through the slits. This stopped any movement of the bag and secured it firmly. What I also do is jam a few paper towels inside there to take up slack so things aren't bouncing around and making extra noise.

What my pack contains:
Slime patches
Tire levers
mini tool
Cheap Bike cable/lock combo

I don't like the frame mounted bags. Not the looks, nor the fact the straps rubbing against my paint. If you arent as finicky as me, no worries there and it may actually suit you better.
I don't do backpacks. I hate a sweaty hot back and the unnecessary weight on my shoulders. I travel light and never had any issue's.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Awesome Strap user here. Grab one of their Tul Bags...its what I keep my stuff in. Its compact and sits in your jersey pocket perfectly. People more often than not carry too much crap for the shorts rides that again...a lot of folks do regularly. A tube, 2 CO2s + inflator, a chain tool, a quick-link, 2 Fix-it-Sticks, a tire boot, and a zip tie. If it is v. muddy your stuff will get dirty - either 1) don't ride in the mud 2) wrap it in a zip-lock bag or 3) use one of their tube sheaths they sell now for this purpose. They also sell other straps for attaching things to your bike - I use one for my light battery. You may be able to get everything in the newest version of their strap...it will hold more than you think.

Attachments

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
It holds less, your stuff gets filthy, and it really doesn't look that secure.
Please quantify "...it really doesn't look at that secure." The newest iteration (my pic below is the Race II..I have the new Race III) is great..its VERY secure..if you have actually used one, you know what I am talking about. The filthy part is true..see my post below.

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
I have a multi tool strapped to mine along with a few other things. And it's more secure than my seatbag which can bounce around a bit. They don't move at all and you don't hit it with your legs.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
This is my saddle bag. I used to use the ones that clipped under the seat but they bobbled too much, so I got this one. It doesn't move and I can't hear it at all. The compartments are great for storing things.

I'm not saying the strap is bad.. Well, I dunno. If I used one, I would probably carry less things, which could be bad lol

·
Category Winner
6,079 Posts
Industry disclaimer first. I'm sponsored by Backcountry Research. I've also been using their products since 2009. So there's that.

I'm gonna drop some tidbits in here as I can think of them.

As far as the OP's questions go, I don't put anything but CO2 and a tire lever in my strap.

I have a friend who has everything but the kitchen sink strapped to his seatpost... still using a second generation strap. Drives me nuts, but he's never lost a thing. Tube, CO dispenser (the big kind for unthreaded cartridges), long 6mm Allen for his bolt-on wheel, multi-tool, and tire lever.

I don't like having my tools or much else in my strap. I use the Tülbag for all the small things. As a matter of fact, it was originally my idea (that they made about a thousand times better).

IMHO, you're either fixing a flat or addressing a mechanical issue, not both at once. I don't want to dig everything out of a seatbag any more than I want to unstrap/unfurl a tube to get to my tools. I'm wearing a jersey, so I'm gonna use the pockets. I've never had my Tülbag fly out of my pocket during a crash, and I don't feel the tools poking me in the back like when I used a sunglass sock.

A little bit about tubes.

Sorry, but a some cut and paste from a blog post to save time:

"Tube on the right, lightweight .60mm butyl rubber tube, refolded for the sake of demonstration, not quite as tight as I normally get it, but you get the point.

Tube on the left, .90mm thick butyl rubber, loaded into Race 3 Strap, ready to ride.

You can see the sharp fold in the tube on the right. I've always known that thin tubes are fragile, but the weight weenie/neat freak in me ALWAYS carried them. I've known they are susceptible to getting holes in them, either in a saddle bag, hydration pack, or strapped to the bike. I told myself I would check them from time to time... you know. I didn't always do that.

Four changes future forward.

1.For day to day use, I will be carrying the .90mm thick tubes.

2. I will not be bundling them so tight. It's not as important to bundle them anyways. I got into the habit to keep them neat and because I've known people to strap on a tube with no rubber bands only to have them unravel in wet conditions.

3. I don't need to bundle them so tight because of the Tube Tarp.

Not only does it keep the tube clean, it keeps it bundled, making all my banding and sheathing pointless. I wasn't gonna run them when I first got them, but now I get it. All bundles get tarped. Also of note, the shock cords on the Race Strap 3 aid in bundle retention. I've found it takes much less reefing to secure the load to the saddle rails.

4. Race tubes. I'm still going to use them. They'll be tossed loosely in a drawer, under my work bench, in a dark place until I need them. Then I'll roll them up, stick them in a Tube Tarp, use them for a race, and then return them to storage."

I thought the Tube Tarp was a bit silly at first. I've ridden in all kinds of conditions with my tube exposed, and when unfurled, it wasn't all that bad.

Notice there is only mud in a few places. The other side of the tube is clean.

So I took a couple seconds and brushed the dirty sections with my hand, and that's what I ended up with.

The Tube Tarp is worth the extra money.

I've railed on saddle bags before. I don't like having my tools jangling against my tube or wrapping everything up in old socks. I also don't like what happens when I actually have to pull everything out, use the tube, and then have all that stuff banging around in the bag.

Here's something else. Droppers. The way most saddle bags attach, they can affect the use of a dropper post. Not so with a strap:

That's all I can think of right now. I'll pop back in if someone has a direct question or something else comes to mind.

Oh yeah, something might be coming soon for those that insist on strapping everything down, including the small parts/tools.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Tube tarp ordered :thumbsup:

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
This is my saddle bag. I used to use the ones that clipped under the seat but they bobbled too much, so I got this one. It doesn't move and I can't hear it at all. The compartments are great for storing things.

I'm not saying the strap is bad.. Well, I dunno. If I used one, I would probably carry less things, which could be bad lol

See? That would hit my legs which irritate the **** out of me.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts

Holy cow...that thing is huge!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I don't get any rubbing, when I got it in the mail I was like oh man that's wide.. But it's mainly back do I don't touch it. I have huge thighs from soccer and skateboarding, but the bag doesn't hit. It's a cool little bag though, it holds a ton of **** and most of it seems to come in handy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts