Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the latest issue of Bike and they have a great article on the 14 greatest mountain bikes ever. It starts with a modified 1930s Schwinn Excelsior and then features Breezer, Cunningham, Bontrager, Fat Chance, all the way up to full suspension bikes like AMP and others. If you are interested in vintage bikes then this is a must read. I imagine there will be others who disagree with some of the bikes featured, but nevertheless it is a great article. This has been the best issue of Bike since I have been subscribing.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
bikerboy said:
I just got the latest issue of Bike and they have a great article on the 14 greatest mountain bikes ever. It starts with a modified 1930s Schwinn Excelsior and then features Breezer, Cunningham, Bontrager, Fat Chance, all the way up to full suspension bikes like AMP and others. If you are interested in vintage bikes then this is a must read. I imagine there will be others who disagree with some of the bikes featured, but nevertheless it is a great article. This has been the best issue of Bike since I have been subscribing.
Thanks for the heads up. This evening, I found a copy on the newsstand. I just finished reading it - they did a pretty good job with their picks.

·
Registered
779 Posts
can somebody with skills scan this and post it??? :)

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
vdubbusrider said:
Go to Barnes and Noble, spring for a coffee, and read the article kicking back in one of their comfy chairs It's a better time than a scan. ;)

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or you could do what I did and bought a 3 year subscription for $6, but I haven't seen a deal like that since I bought it.

I wouldn't mind scanning this and posting it up, but dial-up internet makes that difficult. I second laffeaux on the B&N trip. I read all the other bicycle rags at my local book store. I figure if they wanted more people to actually buy magazines, they would remove the chairs and free coffee from the magazine section.

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
The unheard-of

Or...now bear with me here, you could actually BUY THE MAGAZINE...it's hard enough to get good writers work these days. Perhaps by purchasing a magazine instead of just reading it for free and putting it back on the shelf, some of us could get a paying gig or two...

:)

rb

·
Registered
995 Posts
vdubbusrider said:
Sky, I'm a little suprised they didn't send you a copy. Maybe they'll throw a couple in when they send your bikes back.

For anyone feeling the need to jump on Vdub's case, he sent in several of his personal bikes to be used in that shoot. ...as did a couple others around here. Wanting a sneek peak isn't the end of the world. But Sky, I thought for sure you'd have a subscription to bike & Dirt Rag...

·
Registered
779 Posts
they took my 83 Fat Chance and 87 Merlin.

·
Registered
779 Posts
flyingsuperpetis said:
Sky, I'm a little suprised they didn't send you a copy. Maybe they'll throw a couple in when they send your bikes back.

For anyone feeling the need to jump on Vdub's case, he sent in several of his personal bikes to be used in that shoot. ...as did a couple others around here. Wanting a sneek peak isn't the end of the world. But Sky, I thought for sure you'd have a subscription to bike & Dirt Rag...
they said they would send me a bunch of mags but they havn't yet. sure hope they do. i wouldn't want to half to guy buy it after i already paid for delivering them the bikes.

you know, i really dont read bike magazines. never have. cant say i fully understand why i dont like them. i like riding bikes and working on them but reading about does nothing for me.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
richieb said:
Or...now bear with me here, you could actually BUY THE MAGAZINE...it's hard enough to get good writers work these days. Perhaps by purchasing a magazine instead of just reading it for free and putting it back on the shelf, some of us could get a paying gig or two...
lol ... I did pay for my copy. My first ever purchase of Bike.

I subscribe to Dirt Rag too, so they definitely get my money. IMO, It's many many times better than any other bike magazine available in the US.

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
Don't mean to get on anyone's case for this specifically...just a general "can't a writer get some work?!?!" rant!

For all those of you who got their bikes shot...WAY TO GO!

I could swear I pitched that article to bike 2 1/2 years ago, though...no lie...

rb

·
Registered
779 Posts
these are the one's i dropped off with them:

they said they removed the disc for the shoot. i was hoping they would leave that ugly thing on :p . oh, and this bike now has a Mcmahon titanium fork on it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
actually, mountain bike mag did a 15th year anniversary edition (jan-2001) that had the "the best ever" theme throughout the whole mag--products, people, racers, mtb moments, photos,and of course bikes. they also touched on every year 1987-2000 with what was going on in the sport at that time. real nice issue. i may grab this mag the OP tells of just to compare

·
Registered
11 Posts
I *was* thinking of dropping BIKE

I was seriously close to dropping my sub to BIKE ( I have every issue back to the first ) and their excessive "big jump/North Shore" focus has left me kind of bored with the magazine.

And then they redeem themselves with this awesome article with the lucscious vintage bikes. That Bontrager in particular was the one that really got me worked up back when it first came out. I bought a Yeti FRO instead... no regrets there! But that Bonty is so damn fine.. I love that fork!!

And I second the motion that Dirt Rag is one of the best out there. It's the one bike mag that I actually read and enjoy! I am renewing for another two years!

laffeaux said:
lol ... I did pay for my copy. My first ever purchase of Bike.

I subscribe to Dirt Rag too, so they definitely get my money. IMO, It's many many times better than any other bike magazine available in the US.

·
Registered
571 Posts
What??? No X-frame...

I can't believe you didn't lobby for your Grove X, IMO a perfect example of early mountain bike innovation. Especially since your's is so cherry.

As I don't have a bookstore within a hours drive...what bikes did make the list?

cheers,

rody

·
Registered
84 Posts
Agamemmnon said:
I was seriously close to dropping my sub to BIKE ( I have every issue back to the first ) and their excessive "big jump/North Shore" focus has left me kind of bored with the magazine.

And then they redeem themselves with this awesome article with the lucscious vintage bikes. That Bontrager in particular was the one that really got me worked up back when it first came out. I bought a Yeti FRO instead... no regrets there! But that Bonty is so damn fine.. I love that fork!!

And I second the motion that Dirt Rag is one of the best out there. It's the one bike mag that I actually read and enjoy! I am renewing for another two years!
I've not seen Bike for a while but I would have expected them to move slightly away from the "big jump/North Shore" focus since Mike Ferrentino took over. Has anyone who reads it regularly noticed this happening?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.