Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
-arschloch-
867 Posts
nice

nice looking trails and mtns.

i just got back from a week of backpacking in the Alpenpark Karwendel area (near the german-austrian border).

i was impressed by the amount of bikers, but disappointed that 99.9% were only riding the 'fire' roads. :confused: i saw and walked tons of epic alpen single-track and swore to myself that i will be going back with my bike next time.

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Verbotten

chuffer said:
i was impressed by the amount of bikers, but disappointed that 99.9% were only riding the 'fire' roads. :confused: i saw and walked tons of epic alpen single-track and swore to myself that i will be going back with my bike next time.
Two things to this:
One, most marked mountain bike trails in Europe are fireroads.
Two, trails smaller than 2 meters are forbidden to bicycles in most German states.

So, that explains the lack of bikers on your trails. As I always say, when in Germany, be like a Germ. The law is only for other people, particularly foreigners.

bruce

·
-arschloch-
867 Posts
notaknob said:
Two things to this:
As I always say, when in Germany, be like a Germ. The law is only for other people, particularly foreigners.

bruce
so much truth there! funny!

germany: ~80,000,000 citizens and 75,000,000 hobby police officers!

as for the 2 meter law, you better not tell any of the mtb-ers i know about that law!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Nice pics

A buddy of mine is in the Alps right now with his family on a packaged tour, but with no bike I'm sure he is jonesing for his MTB. I'll make sure I send him your pcis just to make sure cries like a baby!

Thanks for sharing!

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Great pictures! Is that your guide in that first pic? I had to laugh cause he looks like he could climb another 8 hours like that.

Shawn

·
Registered
125 Posts
notaknob said:
Two things to this:
One, most marked mountain bike trails in Europe are fireroads.
Two, trails smaller than 2 meters are forbidden to bicycles in most German states.

So, that explains the lack of bikers on your trails. As I always say, when in Germany, be like a Germ. The law is only for other people, particularly foreigners.

bruce
Fortunatly, the Karwendel belongs for the most part to Austria. On the other hand, in Austria it is officially only allowed to ride a bike on marked trails.

For some pics of the Karwendel, visite http://www.vertriders.com/tests_sherman_breakout_plus.htm

·
Registered
337 Posts
I recognise Champery.

JamesD said:
That's the Col de Cou, and if I'm not mistaken, you rode down the single track along the ridge line towards Barme (see pix). Is this right? I always wondered if that track was rideable. The only time I tried, it was still covered in snow so we had to hike down.

Not to rub it in, but I get to ride there every weekend if I choose to. :p

·
-arschloch-
867 Posts
Tyrolens said:
Fortunatly, the Karwendel belongs for the most part to Austria. On the other hand, in Austria it is officially only allowed to ride a bike on marked trails.

For some pics of the Karwendel, visite http://www.vertriders.com/tests_sherman_breakout_plus.htm
hi there Tyrolens,

that riding in ötztal looks super! especially those narrow tech sections. until what time of year is that open / without too much snow?

i am definitely going back to the karwendal. would you mind sharing a little trail info when the time comes?

thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Redmon said:
Great pictures! Is that your guide in that first pic? I had to laugh cause he looks like he could climb another 8 hours like that.

Shawn
Nah, just one of my riding buddies. We were self-guided in fact, with some help from maps & notes from a friend who worked out there last year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SwissBuster said:
That's the Col de Cou, and if I'm not mistaken, you rode down the single track along the ridge line towards Barme (see pix). Is this right? I always wondered if that track was rideable. The only time I tried, it was still covered in snow so we had to hike down.

Not to rub it in, but I get to ride there every weekend if I choose to. :p
Sorry SwissBuster, but actually that 1st pic is above Les Crosets, about to cut across the DH track that comes down from Pointe De Mosettes.

The second one is singletrack near Tete de Lindarets - you have to hike (carrying bikes for some way) along the ridge & then there's awesome singletrack down to Lindarets area.

This is the Col De Cou - 20 mins of pure climbing :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.