Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 heckler w/ 5th element coil. I plan to have the Avalanche mod performed on this shock. Currently I have a 350 pd. spring on the stock shock . After talking to the guys at AVY, they advised that I should go to a heavier spring- 400 or 450. I weigh around 175 suited up. Anybody have any thoughts on the proper spring? Heard that it is better to go heavier that lighter.
thanks for the input

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Try your current spring. If you need more than 2 or 3 more turns preload to lift your sag to keep your prior handling feel, and prevent harsh bottoming, then go firmer. 3 turns preload is sort of like increasing 50# spring weight with a 350# sping. At first I wouldn't go more than 50# firmer than what works before the mod unless under sprung already. I haven't done your mod, this is a general suggestion.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
I either run the same spring rate or 50lb heavier. Craig is pretty adamant that you need 2-3T of preload on the spring, so if you are running at 1-1.5t on the current coil you can likely keep it. If you are already at 2-3t of PL then bump up to the next higher rate.

One thing to consider, the AVA upgrade won't do anything to fix the hydraulic topout protection (the molasses slow rebound at the last .25in of stroke). For a trail bike that is kind of annoying. Basically it is impossible to even out the damping across the entire rebound stroke. At high speed and from 1/4-full travel though the work Avalanche does inside the shock makes it feel great. Much more active than stock and it can be setup to ride with minimal bob, yet still far better small bump compliance.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to the tftunedshox site calculator and rear wheel travel distance is needed for spring rate calculation. What is the travel length for a 2003 Heckler?. I should Know this, but I don't. what kind of mountain biker am I anyway?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.