Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moments after purchasing the women's Camelback referred to as a sale item in a recent post, they posted the purchase on my Face book wall. I never gave them the account nor authorized the posting. How they connected the dots and accessed my account without Face books cooperation is beyond me. It has the be the stupidest marketing and invasion of privacy I have ever seen. The purchase was a gift and the may well have blown the surprise

·
We get titles?
935 Posts
Wow. That seems pretty wrong.
But, facebook is pretty sneaky. I'd be willing to bet you unwittingly authorized that to happen by using some facebook application.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Buy.com is shady.

I bought a Bluetooth headset for my cellie phone there, they had the best price by far. The headset came with no damn charger! I called Buy.com and they told me to call the manufacturer. I called the manufacturer and they basically laughed in my face and told me that Buy.com probably sold me grey market product. It wasn't a particularly good experience.

·
(not that fast)
954 Posts
This begs the question, did you drop facebook after this? It's starting to get crazy with all of these websites communicating amongst each other. I cannot listen to music on pandora without facebook telling everyone about it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have my Face book privacy settings very tight, friends only. Thank goodness, I paid with PayPal.
Face book has to be involved . NPR this morning commented that some survey respondents trusted Face book less then any other social site. Add me to that list.
I am going to remove most of my personal info from Face book. The had to have matched up my name, city and perhaps the required ground phone number that is not on Facebook.. They had no other information. I think complaining to Face book is a waste of time.

·
We get titles?
935 Posts
tsull, were you logged onto facebook when you made the purchase on buy.com?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I was not logged on to Face book.

I was not logged on to Face book. I have a very common Irish name but there is only one of us in my small town. Had to be a name location match.
After I get the Camelback, I am going into Buy.com and put in a bunch of false info in my 'guest" account. Same for Face book on stuff you have to disclose. I don't trust they won't sell my info all over the map.
Lesson learned is that privacy is not an issue for a company without ethics.
This is without a doubt the stupidest marketing program I have ever seen. Why they think someone would want their purchases posted on their Face book wall for all their friends to see is mindboggling. I am a male andI have a lot of female friends on Facebook. Some I date and the last thing I need is a posting of my purchase of a womens specfic product, then having them wonder who got it, LOL

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I bought something from Pro Bike Kit and now I'm getting solicitations via text messages and solicitation calls on my cell phone. Its my own fault for giving out my real number.

as for buy.com, there has to be a box you missed somewhere opting out. Why in the world would buy.com think you want something on facebook? Insane.

Facebook is turning into an evil empire. Hoping this new site being developed comes out soon. Don't remember the name of it but suppose to like linked in and facebook (seperating personal and working relationships).

·
scared to post
106 Posts
Bail on facebook! With them nothing is private

I did after the privacy concerns hit the news.

Or you can wade through the privacy settings on facebook and opt out of everything. But you might as well delete it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I saw nothing about face book. I never gave them an information that would allow access to Facebook. Only my friends can post to my wall.

·
scared to post
106 Posts
You did give facebook permission to post up what you bought. Read the fine print. There is a reason facebook is free.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,590 Posts
Simple way to avoid this whole situation........don't use Facebook......I don't have these kinds of problems.....have stayed away from them.....Facebook and MySpace.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts