Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Kick Start My Heart
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always remember to change the 'ship to' when you order bike parts to some other address. This in your living room with your spouse when you get home may cause you to accelerate much closer to S-1.
BTW, sushi fixed everything up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,061 Posts
the wife and I have agreed to put away $5 out of every paycheck for bike parts. my "allowance" was more than that when times were better, but we're about to buy a house and we are leasing a car and I only work part-time, so I take what I can get. if I didn't have that limit, we would be broke. if I want more than that, I sell my old stuff or find bikes at thrift stores to flip. I somehow always end up with a little extra money to spend for stuff here and there. some day, I want to buy a proper FS bike and that will be much harder.

·
Kick Start My Heart
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She harassed me a bit, but was actually cool with it. We use a $100 rule - over a $100 needs approval. This was just over, and the size, (rigid fork) threw her off. I guess I should have warned her.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
I do something similar with mine, anything over $50 needs mutual approval. Something that really helps when making a larger purchase is planting the seed that I am researching said purchase as long in advance as possible.

For example, I have already started mentioning a new bike once I hit my weight goal, this is probably like a year out from now but she is already aware of it and since its so far out she cant say no just yet. When the time comes I will have everything already planned, the money set aside and there wont be a logical reason to say no.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
LOL oh man!! The Wife vs. Bike STUFF ~ Battle Positions Men!!
I have been married 20yrs...26 if you count the dateing beforehand...

STILL I get busted by her..I kinda used up all the credit I had on my one card...she knew about the air fork but not all the other STUFF that I NEEDED!! LOL

A day or two later she was no longer bike bashing me..she knows it is good form me and keeps me away from the beer cooler so all in all...it's good to go.

I say buy first ask forgivness later...they allways say NO! Unless you do the Hint Hint I want this some day blah blah...I can't wait!! I WANT IT NOW!!!
hehehe

·
Mtn View, CA
493 Posts
I maintain a stash of "secret" money that's off the books. It's only a couple hundred bucks. It comes from selling stuff and taking aluminum cans to recycling. Handy for when deals come up on craigslist or at the lbs.

·
Registered
973 Posts
it'll be 43 years in November...I have been smitten by the deadly upgradeitis virus, but it's way cheaper than my race cars. That's how I rationalize it anyway and for the most part I don't get much grief...I have had to fix my own dinner on occasion though :nono:

·
Registered
399 Posts
The wife and I decided to put our tax return into savings this year. I suprised her with a new Kitchen Aid mixer ($350). Suddenly that next impulse purchase won't look so bad... Hello Mr. SID!

·
I like turtles
6,374 Posts
The problem is that folks are using words like "approval". Last time I checked, I was an adult and don't need "approval" from anyone. How about using "discussion". I always crack up when people say "I need to ask my wife" like she is your mom. You should know what is in the budget and what isn't...if you have to "ask", you are doing something you probably shouldn't.

·
Diggity Dog
469 Posts
Customer in bike store ... "I have to ask the wife if I can buy the bike."

Salesperson .... "I understand. Why don't you come back when you have permission."

Customer thinks to self ... "I'll show them." Pulls out wallet and breaks the bank.

Divorce ensues. Wife keeps and sells bike for pennies on the dollar for spite.

It could happen. Not to me but it could happen.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The problem is that folks are using words like "approval". Last time I checked, I was an adult and don't need "approval" from anyone. How about using "discussion". I always crack up when people say "I need to ask my wife" like she is your mom. You should know what is in the budget and what isn't...if you have to "ask", you are doing something you probably shouldn't.
Well, I would have to ask how would you feel if your significant other purchased a $1000 designer handbag "because it was on sale"? Most couples contribute equally to and must work with a budget, it's just respectful that both parties discuss how the other's hard earned pay will be spent, whether in the budget or not, especially if only one benefits. I've learned the hard way that fudging the cost or skewing the truth is as good as lying, you'd better be completely honest or risk the consequences.

·
I like turtles
6,374 Posts
Well, I would have to ask how would you feel if your significant other purchased a $1000 designer handbag "because it was on sale"? Most couples contribute equally to and must work with a budget, it's just respectful that both parties discuss how the other's hard earned pay will be spent, whether in the budget or not, especially if only one benefits. I've learned the hard way that fudging the cost or skewing the truth is as good as lying, you'd better be completely honest or risk the consequences.
You missed my point. Yes, my wife and I discuss purchases, especially larger ones. However, we don't ask each other's permission...there is a difference.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.