Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen to much feedback from these brakes. Anybody use these and how do you find they compare with the other lightweight alternatives?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Mine should arrive tomorrow. I'll throw them on a scale, take some pics, and get a ride in on them this weekend. I won't be able to compare them to anything but Juicy 7's and Elixir CR's, though.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm interested in them as well. Can't make up my mind on brakes. I'll be waiting to hear whay you think about them and your actual weights.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree. I'm anxious to get something before the start of the race season so I may end up just getting whatever I can get the cheapest. Right now, the XX are the cheapest I can find.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
eliflap said:
i used on my Flash team.

wow ! what a power !!
Sorry Eliflap, i know you also have the Formula "The one" and just looking at the graphs below tells me that it can't be true. The XX is one of the weaker brakes available at the moment. Definitely weaker than the regular Elixir and A LOT less powerful than the Formula.

Explaining the graph below which are the results of a comparison test done by german BIKE magazine (issue 12/09):
The power got measured at 80 Newton handforce. All brakes equally.

To the left you see the Brakepower
Below in Red you see the different rotor sizes with each brake

As you can see the Avid XX with big 185mm rotor has equal power than a Shimano SLX with the 160mm rotor!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wish that German magazine would have tested the Formula R1's and Hope Race. Would have been a much better comparison with the XX.

After all, isn't The One brake a DH specific brake??

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
DavidR1 said:
Wish that German magazine would have tested the Formula R1's and Hope Race. Would have been a much better comparison with the XX.

After all, isn't The One brake a DH specific brake??
No-the one is a labeled as a All-Mountain Brake but just slightly heavier than the R1!

Eliflap also has it.Pictures below are from his Blog.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
chuckie33 said:
http://content.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/disc-brake-system/avid/xx/PRD_448741_1507crx.aspx

The only two reviews posted here both agree that the brakes are very powerful.
interesting-the guy saying it is powerful obvisouly never used another disc before and the second user isn't really happy with them either.

But reading the verdict of the german test again they say the XX is a great brake for xc riding. The only major complaint they had was the price. This and the fact that the regular Elixirs were performing better made those even more appealing to the testers. But then it seems they don't care for the

The Formula "The one" was weighed 24g heavier than the XX but got is still the ultimate brake regarding power and durability. If i would have been able to get one over here ins Switzerland i would have taken that one over the R1 and XX any time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm sorry Nino, but you're mistaken:

The One - 195 + 214 = 409g
R1 - 167 +182 = 349g
XX - 158 +183 = 343g

So R1 weights 60g less and XX 66g less than The One.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Cezex said:
I'm sorry Nino, but you're mistaken:

The One - 195 + 214 = 409g
R1 - 167 +182 = 349g
XX - 158 +183 = 343g

So R1 weights 60g less and XX 66g less than The One.
Well - the weights in BIKE-magazine were given for all brakes with the same lenght hose and the same parts included."The one" was just 24g heavier than the XX (front brake only).But by reading closer i see they also included the rotors and bolts so the Formula has an advantage with the lighter rotors here...
Formula "The One" complete front setup with 160mm rotor: 315g
XX front setup: 291g

Below Eliflap pictures of uncut R1 with carbon levers (5g per side lighter than the alloy levers):
158+174= 340g

More Eliflap pictures from an uncut XX:
174g+190g = 364g
(The 2 PM bolts with washers weigh 16g)

Do we know if all those hoses are the same lenght??? I don't think so.That's why i gave the weights of the german magazine which had them all set up the same.
If i'm not completely mistaken the 160mm XX rotors weigh 97g while the R1/The one rotors are 88g....x2= another 18g advantage for the Formulas.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
New XX brakes just arrived

Here are the weights (in grams):

Lever, caliper, hose (160mm front)- 163.7
Lever, caliper, hose (160mm rear)- 174.8
Clamp F- 10.4
Clamp R- 10.2
Rotor F- 96.1
Rotor R- 102.6 (Overweight!- it also measures 1.97mm thick, compared to 1.84mm for the front. I don't think it was surface finished adequately.)
Rotor bolts (6)- 7.2
Rotor bolts (6)- 7.1

Complete Front- 293.0
Compete Rear- 324.0 (Including IS adapter and mounting bolts. Would be 317.5 if the rotor was the proper weight.)

Luckily I am running a 140mm rear rotor, so I don't care that much about the overweight XX rotor. All in all I saved 178 grams over the Elixir CR's that had been tuned with Ti rotor bolts, caliper mounting bolts, and Al lever mount bolts- only swapping the front rotor.

I just took the bike out to the parking lot to bed in the rotors a bit. Even though they're not fully bedded, I can tell they have less power than the Elixir CR's they replaced. I believe this is fully due to the organic pads that come stock on the XX brakes. I'll give them a few rides before deciding if I need to replace them with sintered pads.

Edit- I think when I was installing/adjusting the front caliper I may have contaminated the front rotor with a small amount of copper anti-seize. I've wiped it and the pads down with soapy water, rinsed, and bedded again. They seem to be doing much better. I can lock up the rear on asphalt no problem- can't tell a difference between them and the Elixir CR's they replaced. The front is doing better- I can do a front wheelie, but it takes two fingers. Hopefully it will get a bit better.

·
Registered
140 Posts
bholwell: Rebleed them before riding. Mine rear one had a lot of strange stuff floating in oil. After rebleeding they work a whole lot better!

nino: Ok, I see your point. Still I prefer XX over R1/One even if the weight is almoust the same.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Cezex said:
bholwell: Rebleed them before riding. Mine rear one had a lot of strange stuff floating in oil.
That doesn't sound good! I'm riding this weekend so I don't think I'll get to it before then. The levers feel good and firm, though.

Did you replace the fluid in both brakes? Did both have the "stange stuff" in the fluid?

·
Registered
140 Posts
bholwell said:
The levers feel good and firm, though.
Mine wasn't so maybe it was a problem in one item only.

bholwell said:
Did you replace the fluid in both brakes? Did both have the "stange stuff" in the fluid?
Yes, rebleeded both of them. Font was ok, rear sucked, I could touch the handlebar with the lever. The "strange stuff" looked like pieces of inner hose (don't know how it's called in english so it's hard to explain). Now they feel much more firmer just as I like.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is the earlier test results of bike mag.

I use elixir cr's for now and planning to get my xx brakes soon.. I was thinking of R1's before, but after seeing some oil leakage problems and rotor rubbing issues i forgot them..

Weight diff between r1 and xx seems less than 10g with uncut housings..(add 20g for the clamps to xx side)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been riding my XX brakes for around 30 miles & cant seem to wear my brakes in as i keep getting this major grinding / vibrating when i brake.
So do all XX brakes that are sold on bike sets have organic pads as opposed to other typos?
So how can i tell what type of pad i have installed on my XX is there any indication or color on the backing of disc pad that can verify this?
I would love to go for another pad to eliminate the noise i am experiencing @ this moment but confused as to what will be the quietest?
I read in MTB action that only 2 types of pads can be used on the XX organic & semi metallic this is to minimize heat build up, as magnesium is not as good as dissipating heat as aluminum is. And told sintered is not a good fit for these typo brakes?

thanks for your replies.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts