Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· ballbuster
12,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Last week, I got a new set of Maguras, and I lent one of my Avids to a bud who was getting arm pump from his rim brakes.

So first ride out, about 4 miles in, he hits the brake lever, and flat to the bars it goes.

The bolt that holds the actuator arm came loose at some point and the spring sent it to the moon, and the brake exploded. He managed to stop on a farily steep downhill bit on his rear rim brake alone, but the results could have been way worse.

I noticed that the actuator arm was a little wiggly, but didn't think anything more of it, chalking it up to wear. It turns out I shoulda heeded that sign as something wrong, like.

The Avid site said to return anything to the dealer for warranty, and they would deal with it. Performance Bike swapped mine out, even though I didn't have the receipt on me.

· Registered
246 Posts
The same thing happened to me with my Avid's. It was rebuilt for free by Avid but obviously this seems to be a potential problem. At least they stand behind thier products. Mine were used for about a year and a half when this happened.

· ballbuster
12,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
About 9 months...

Warp2003 said:
Any pics???

I'll keep an eye on mine too. How old were your brakes??
... and 700 miles. I was on my second set of pads.

Here's a pic of my bud's fork with my Avid brake:

We searched the trail and managed to find the return spring, return spring tensioner and the rubber seal. The little red knob, bolt and any other parts that may have been in there were probably launched into the bushes by the spring.

I was a little surprised that there was no circlip or tiny cotter pin on the end of the shaft as a safety measure. That, or some other loose-proof solution other than the dab of loctite. On the Deore mech brakes I had, there were circlips everywhere to keep nuts and bolts from backing out and allowing the brake to fail. I hope Avid reads this and adds that to future versions.

· Derailleurless
9,119 Posts
Wow... that a freakishly small water bottle you have attached to your spokes with, what is that... some sort of drug paraphernalia? Are.. are you one of those water tokers? I've heard about your type! No wonder "your friend's" brake fell apart! Serves "him" right, wrenching on "his" bike all hopped up on H2O...

· "El Whatever"
18,874 Posts
Plain Scary....

We all should write Avid about this for a recall or fix...

What would Chrysler/GM/Ford or any automaker would do if they find reports of failure on their unit's brakes??? I mean... this is a life/death issue and I think I'm not exagerating!! Imagine this happens to you on a steep downhill with a sharp-off-camber turn on the edge of a cliff (a normal riding situation I would say)???

Even if they sell the fix it should be good... I would gladly pay for this not to happen....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.