Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 Stumpjumper FSR Elite that came with Avid Ultimate 7's. I admittedly don't know a ton about disk brakes. I am having two issues with them.

First, the front makes a rattling noise on low speed turns. My lbs suggested going to a smaller front rotor. Second, both the front and the rear are constantly requiring caliper adjustment to stop the rotors from dragging. By the way, both front and rear are mounted to a new set of Mavic 819s.

Are these unavoidable issues with disk brakes in general, or are these known issues with this specific model? I am not opposed to upgrading and cost really isn't a huge issue, however I don't want to throw money away if I will have the same issues whatever I choose. I am more of an XC rider and don't do much in the way of aggressive downhilling. I wouldn't mind a brake that doesn't lock up so easily, but again I'm not sure if this is more of an adjustment or rider skill issue.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I run Avid Juicy Ultimates on my XC race bike. When I first put on a new set of pads I do occasionally have to adjust the caliper until they are broken in. Also using organic pads makes for smoother breaking, although they do not last as long.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Are you removing the wheels? If you are removing and reinstalling the wheels, the axle may not be sitting in the dropouts quite the same. This can cause a bit of rubbing.

The "rattling" noise (if it's metallic) is caused by flex. A smaller rotor may result in less noise. A stiffer front end will also help. You can try using a high quality skewer. Something like the Shimano XT or a DT Swiss RWS.

If your hubs are loose ball, make sure that they are adjusted properly and there is no play. Make sure the suspension pivots are also free of play.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.