Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have had some Tri Aligns sitting around waiting for a bike. Well last night I went back to make sure I had everything and well low and behold, I need 1! part! The Bushing (?) that sits inside the brake arm, where the brake slides over the brake stud, appears to have fallen out. It's the longer (rear?) arm, anyone know a source where I can get one of these? Any spares around?
thanks!!!!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
check the frame/fork

WEBERTIME said:
Hey guys I have had some Tri Aligns sitting around waiting for a bike. Well last night I went back to make sure I had everything and well low and behold, I need 1! part! The Bushing (?) that sits inside the brake arm, where the brake slides over the brake stud, appears to have fallen out. It's the longer (rear?) arm, anyone know a source where I can get one of these? Any spares around?
thanks!!!!
Those bushings are intended to be loctited to the brake boss. That's Avid's way or eliminating the issue of fitting their brakes to bosses with a range of tolerances for size. The resulting tight precision fit is intended to lessen or eliminate brake squeal. Most likely whomever removed the brakes from the frame or fork didn't notice the bushings and left them there.
Avid conceived the more powerful longer arms as being for the front, the more important brake.
Have you tried contacting Avid? Or owner Wayne Lumpkin in, I forget, Denver or Boulder?

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Emailed Avid B4 Sram bought them

bulC said:
Those bushings are intended to be loctited to the brake boss. That's Avid's way or eliminating the issue of fitting their brakes to bosses with a range of tolerances for size. The resulting tight precision fit is intended to lessen or eliminate brake squeal. Most likely whomever removed the brakes from the frame or fork didn't notice the bushings and left them there.
Avid conceived the more powerful longer arms as being for the front, the more important brake.
Have you tried contacting Avid? Or owner Wayne Lumpkin in, I forget, Denver or Boulder?
Asked me to send them to them b/c they made a few different tri aligns and they wanted me to mail them all my parts, which I am am very sketchy on doing, it's not like I can still get these, and with Sram taking over god knows what they did with the older parts. (i.e. Syncros being bought by GT)

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got official word from SRAM

They don't stock any of the old brake parts, was told to check the internet... helpful. Anyone know any old Avid employees/email sources, etc. google/Sram has given me nothing so far.
thanks guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.