Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear Avid has stopped making them to have people buy the Sram Derailers in which has been designed into their newer derailers. However I found a site that still has some. How do they work for you if you have one? I am putting one on my LX derailer to get rid of that freak'n cable loop that has been snagged about 10 times this last season by branches and shrubs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have always used SRAM. But I have installed these on several friends bikes. While it is hard to say if shifting improved while the bikes were on the stand. Both friends said they felt the shifting was smoother. It definitely gets rid of the loop.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
i have one in the parts box. All it did was get gunky and mess up shifting, and when i had it cut juuuuuust the right length to make a straight run i couldn't adjust the b-screw without it sticking out and snagging stuff (if i had to move D down) or making that run of housing too short (if i had to move D up). Pain in the butt.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Now scott...

scottzg said:
i have one in the parts box. All it did was get gunky and mess up shifting, and when i had it cut juuuuuust the right length to make a straight run i couldn't adjust the b-screw without it sticking out and snagging stuff (if i had to move D down) or making that run of housing too short (if i had to move D up). Pain in the butt.
I realize it was a tough thing to install for the mechanically challenged.:lol:

But seriously, the design of the Shimano derailleur at the time actually benefited from this stupid little device. The rocking action of the derailleur and especially when applied to a longer travel full suspension bike promoted a bit of ghost shifting...even with full length housing. The Jig maintained an exact cable length at a critical point. I contend that this is one of the reasons that Shimano has gone to a more SRAM-like design. Yes...a funky looking creation...but it worked on those derailleurs.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
TNC said:
I realize it was a tough thing to install for the mechanically challenged.:lol:

But seriously, the design of the Shimano derailleur at the time actually benefited from this stupid little device. The rocking action of the derailleur and especially when applied to a longer travel full suspension bike promoted a bit of ghost shifting...even with full length housing. The Jig maintained an exact cable length at a critical point. I contend that this is one of the reasons that Shimano has gone to a more SRAM-like design. Yes...a funky looking creation...but it worked on those derailleurs.
hahaha, yeah, i ended up cutting that housing run like 3 times cuz i'm an idiot. By then i really really really wanted to notice an improvement, but never did. After about 2 months of using the rollamajig the frame i had it on started to skip gears when i cranked, and then the dropout broke off. I blamed the rollamajig for the bad shifting at the time and cursed that thing, after the dropout broke i just think they're a waste of time.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I have one on a bike that I got as basket case. Fixed it up and my youngest daughter rides it now and that Rollamajig seems to work alright.
Bike shifts fine with Shimano stuff on it.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Yeah, on every bike I own

digitalayon said:
I hear Avid has stopped making them to have people buy the Sram Derailers in which has been designed into their newer derailers. However I found a site that still has some. How do they work for you if you have one? I am putting one on my LX derailer to get rid of that freak'n cable loop that has been snagged about 10 times this last season by branches and shrubs.
I love the Rollamajig. I'm bummed they are discontinuing it. I may have to buy a few to keep in my box.

It makes shifting greased moose poop slick, and gets rid of that cable loop that gets kinked when I take my bike in and out of the trunk. It also adds a floppy part in the cable right at the derailleur so it won't kink right there.

Yeah, less need for it in recent years. SRAM is a straight shot, and new Shimano the same. I have a bunch of older XT, LX and XTR derailleurs in my quiver. I also run full length shifter housing, so it seems I never have to change cables or housing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.