Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new bike equipped with Avid Juicy 7's. I've had trouble getting the brakes to stop pulsating and squealing. I've also heard reports that the Clean Sweep rotors work better with these brakes. Is this true? I just acquired some new Clean Sweep rotors and bought some EBC green pads. I plan to install them tonight and go on a light cruise in the morning to properly bed them in. Has anyone else out there tried this set up?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
PAINpusher said:
I have the Galfer 7"/6" combo and I have not experienced ANY studdering - buttery smoothe...Now my next decesions is EBC or Galfer pads??
Galfer pads are very good. Great modulation, good power (EBC Golds bite harder), wear well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
shiggy said:
Galfer pads are very good. Great modulation, good power (EBC Golds bite harder), wear well.
Shiggy,

I want to 1st thank you for turing me onto the Galfer Rotors, I've read a lot of your postings concerning Galfer, and you were very convincing.

This is where braking terminology starts to confuse me. Where I do want my brakes to have great modulation, I also want to have the ability to squeeze harder and have the front wheel physically lock up (if desired), it is crutial for (semi) trials style movements on the bike. So rigt now, my brakes have had 2 rides of break in, the rear 6" juicy carbon (now seems to be "seated" or "faced" - i can now get a "bite" on the rear (& lock it up if I choose to), but on the front brake (7"), I am not yet able to lock it up while moving foward (i.e to set up in a front wheelie)...Do you think I just need more break in? Also there was a slight warp in my front Rotor that causes a slight rub on the pad in one spot that I have to bend out this weekend, maybe that had slowed the break-in process - or maybe b/c it's a 7" that the break in is slower, b/c the rotor doesn't heat up as much????? I digress, now I'm just thinking out-loud.

So, with that said, and in a round about way of gettting back to your comment, do you think I would preffer the EBC Gold or Galfers??
-Rob

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
[pet peeve] You would have better power if you used the correct size rotors. 6 and 7 inches are too small. You need 160 and 185mm (~6.3" & 7.28") rotors. [/pet peeve]

I think you just need a bit more break in time. Setting you pad contact point earlier in the lever throw will help, too.

Once bedded in the Golds will bite harder (than the Galfer pads) from the first touch of the lever. They may generate more heat, too. Could be an issue with hydro brakes. I have burned my fingers on the caliper of my cable Avids.

If you do switch pad compounds Galfer suggests completely cleaning the rotors with 600 grit sandpaper and lots of water.

·
Registered
410 Posts
shiggy said:
[pet peeve] You would have better power if you used the correct size rotors. 6 and 7 inches are too small. You need 160 and 185mm (~6.3" & 7.28") rotors. [/pet peeve]

I think you just need a bit more break in time. Setting you pad contact point earlier in the lever throw will help, too.

Once bedded in the Golds will bite harder (than the Galfer pads) from the first touch of the lever. They may generate more heat, too. Could be an issue with hydro brakes. I have burned my fingers on the caliper of my cable Avids.

If you do switch pad compounds Galfer suggests completely cleaning the rotors with 600 grit sandpaper and lots of water.
Actually, I find it easier to reference the general size of 6" b/c some companies use 160mm & some use 165mm, either way, I can apprecieate your attention to detail. Aso, thanks for the advice, i'll be sure to get a few more rides in before I make any decisions on pads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.