Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Giant Rainier with an Axel fork and Avid 160mm mechanical disc brakes. The rear brake pretty much stays in adjustment (at least good enough for an all-day ride) but the front is always getting screwy. The rotors are true, and there isn't any slop in the bearings. I can set it so it's good, ride 100 feet and it rubs on one side. One thing I've noticed is if I put any sideways pressure on the tire, the forks bend a little and push the rotor against the pad on one side. So is this all because of bendy forks, or what?

On another note, man these forks are soft, I weigh 125 and bottom them out all the time:rolleyes:

·
Registered
160 Posts
My original roundagon rotor bended in longer downhills because it got hot and then rubbed a bit. A short time later, when it cooled down, it rebended and everything was o.k.
Now I have Alligator serrated rotors and the problem is solved. Maybe you have the same problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
trelgne said:
My original roundagon rotor bended in longer downhills because it got hot and then rubbed a bit. A short time later, when it cooled down, it rebended and everything was o.k.
Now I have Alligator serrated rotors and the problem is solved. Maybe you have the same problem.
Nope. I don't even need to use them for them to start rubbing on one side.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Sounds like fork flex....

not an ucommon problem with some Manitou forks. I have a Black that does the same thing. QR is tight and squarely seated, bearings are perfect (or as perfect as bearings can get), and everything is properly set up, aligned and adjusted. But under the right conditions the fork will flex a bit and the inboard pad will rub the rotor. And it will usually be more frequent after a long downhill run or after hard braking with the rotors warmed up. There's no real fix for it short of getting a new (and stiffer) fork. You can adjust the pads to minimize it, but only in so much as it doesn't affect your prefered lever feel and pad contact point. Personally I've learned to tolerate it until I can afford to get a new fork. I'm finished with Manipoop.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My guess would be on the fork flexing as well. I have a Axel on my hardtail with v-brakes. I can adjust the brakes so that they're perfect with no rubbing, as soon as I put weight on the bike and start riding I'll get a constant annoying brake rub. I always assumed the fork was flexing to cause the problem, now I'm even more convinced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.