Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sponsored by Xanax
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like from the sticky on Burner builds, a lot of people are running Avid mechanical disc brakes. I'm in the process of a Burner build and would like to know if going with, say, Avid BB7s would be shooting myself in the foot where I should be saving the $$ for some Juicy 7s or other hydraulic brake? My riding is basic XC, nothing too gonzo or racing.

For the record, I'm coming off regular V-brakes, and was planning on first starting out with them (I even got the canti/boss clamps for the Burner), but it looks like I'm getting UGI before I even get started :D

Anyway, it just struck me that a lot of folks run the Avid mechanicals instead of the Juicys....and I'm curious what the field has to say about them.

·
BODYSNATCHER
287 Posts
So far, so good

Roostalee said:
Looks like from the sticky on Burner builds, a lot of people are running Avid mechanical disc brakes. I'm in the process of a Burner build and would like to know if going with, say, Avid BB7s would be shooting myself in the foot where I should be saving the $$ for some Juicy 7s or other hydraulic brake? My riding is basic XC, nothing too gonzo or racing.

For the record, I'm coming off regular V-brakes, and was planning on first starting out with them (I even got the canti/boss clamps for the Burner), but it looks like I'm getting UGI before I even get started :D

Anyway, it just struck me that a lot of folks run the Avid mechanicals instead of the Juicys....and I'm curious what the field has to say about them.
I love them. They were easy for a novice like me to set up. And they are quiet (unless wet, but aren't all disc brakes noisy when wet?).
I ride a Burner also, and I have literally had no problems with them.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I can't compare the Avid mechanicals with any hyraulic brakes, since they're all I've used since coming off V's when I built up my first Turner a couple years ago. I can say I have no complaints with them- power, modulation, or otherwise. I adore their simplicity and reliability. Your Burner definitely deserves disc brakes, and the Avid BB7's should do the trick nicely.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Roostalee said:

I dont have a burner but I do have Avid mechs on my newest bike and am extremely impressed with them. I was a doubter that mechanical discs could really work that well. I am convinced. Having said that, I still prefer my hydraulic discs but that may be purely because I am a bike snob :)

cheers

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Another Thumbs Up

Almost three years on an XCE, over a year on the 5-Spot, and never a problem.

Lost a couple of the red adjuster knobs over the years, always cheerfully replaced quickly and free of charge by Avid.

What more needs be said?

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,121 Posts
Extremely Happy

I've got them on a few bikes and think you'll love them. They have probably the biggest bang for buck status of any disc brake. Pair them up with some quality levers and they will go head to head with most hydraulics..

These are an especially logical choice for someone new to discs. They are super easy to install, you don't have to be concerned about fluids or bleeding, and can be had for a fraction of the cost of a hydro set.

Don't let their low price or cable actuated simplicity fool you, these are highly rated,and have plenty of power. Plus, you probably already have levers.

Randy

·
My cup runneth over
2,428 Posts
The mechs are great in terms of function (running them on my Burner with no problems), less so in terms of UGI (which seems to have bitten you bad)! Likely you should look past the mechs, get the latest and greatest and not look back...

·
Bon Vie
624 Posts
I've had them for nearly three years on 2 different bikes, currently on my 5 Spot, and love 'em. Of course the UGI bug bites and I start thinking hydraulic, then I go for a ride on the mechs and that cures it. You can't go wrong with the Avids...............check 'em out.

peace

·
Registered
59 Posts
If these are going to be your first disc brakes, go for it. You won't miss the brake lever feel of hydros or their modulation. Avid mechs definatelly have good stopping power and are super easy to set up, not to mention cheap.

_MK

·
Registered
419 Posts
I can definitely recomend the mechanicals. It's nice that they are available in 3 rotor sizes (165, 180, 210). If you are over 180lbs you should look seriously at the 185. I run the 185 up front and 165 in the rear. I ran a 165 in the front at first and noticed a nice improvement in stopping power.

I've been running the mechanicals for about 2 years now with no hassles. I've tried some hydraulics, but didn't notice enough improvement to justify the price, but then I'm a tight wad...:)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Another thumbs up

I also like the BB7's. Good power and good modulations with the right levers (I have the single digit 7's). If you live in a wet area I would definetaly consider runnign full lenght cables on these. When I ran split the cable drag really bothered me and had me wishing for hydros. After installing the full runs I think I can live with them a little longer.

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
I have setup and ridden many bikes with the avid mechs and with various hydros. I like the mechs the best and have been running them since 01 on one bike and since 04 on another. Only drawback is their weight. They aren't much heavier than the basic mag hayes or even the juicy 7's but they are much heavier than something like the magura martas.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I have owned a bunch of high end hydros and really would not shed a tear if I had to go back to the good old Avid Mechs. They truly are a great brake, easy to tune and work on, and the stopping power is excellent.

That said, you can easily get a hydro system for about the same $$ after you figure in the cost of brake levers and cables/housing for the Mechs. I guess my point is that it may come down to factors other than $$. I would get the mechs if you value simplicity and reliability. Trouble shooting hydros is definitely a bit more work and messier than the mechs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've riding the Avid Mech, and they are good brakes, but I'd pony up the extra cash for hydro. I ended up with a cheap pair of hayes, and have enjoyed them very much. They're great brakes.

What about the Juicy 5's There basicly the Sevens without the adjuster and a few bucks cheapers.

·
FleshwoundGravityResearch
1,285 Posts
My ride is not yet in the setups, so I will chime in also. I have been running the mech's on two diff bikes for a total of three years (now the 5 Spot). I love them and see no need for the extra hassle of hydros.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.