Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
luddite
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 minutes of searching on the archives didn't really bring up the answer to my question, so I'll ask it here.

We have seen Avid mechs gone from the round rotors, to the wavy rotors and now to the polygon rotors. I gather that the introduction of wavy rotors was supposed to eliminate brake squeal (though squeal only seems to happen to some people). I don't know what advantage the polygon rotors are supposed to have over the wavy. But that's not my question... my question is whether or not there are compatibility issues with using an older model BB7 brake caliper (that came with a round rotor) with a newer polygon rotor. I suspect not, but this guy on ebay (ebay = instant credibility, right?) is claiming that round rotors are for pre-2001 BB7s and the polygon are post-2003 BB7s. And by extension the wavys are for 2002-2003 brakes?

I say that's BOGUS all around and don't think there are any compatibility issues at all. Maybe someone can confirm my instincts?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Shiggy will know

He'll surely come along soon enough and give you an accurate answer. The only thing I recollect about the older (pre-2001, possibly?) rotors is that they were 165 mm as compared to 160 on the newer clean sweep rotors. As for the BB7 using a wavy, that's news ro me, but the '06 is definitely using the polygons. Again, I'd like to hear Shiggy's read on this, he's very well versed in the Avid mechanicals.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
He is mostly full of BS.
The original version 1 caliper was designed to use 165mm (round) rotors.
The revised version 2 calipers use 160mm rotors of any shape.
You can not swap the diameter between the two without minor modifications to the mounting.

It is the diameter difference than matters, not the rotor edge shape.

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
shiggy is correct, i have put 160 Galfer rotor on my sons HT that has the 2nd generation Avids, no problem :).
Alot of manufactures are changing the name & the shape slightly of there rotors because Galfer has a pattent on what they call the wave rotor. Galfer has been making wave rotors for a long time.
http://www.galferusa.com/humanpower/index.html
click product info. then rotors :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts