Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a set of Avid mech. with XT levers. They don't seem to feel right. I have Avid's on another bike with XTR levers and these feel completely different. The XT's have to be squeezed extemely hard to get decent braking while the XTR's seem to work great with hardly any effort. Is there that much of a difference in the two levers or should I check the set up again?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Avid levers

I have avid mechs and started with LX shifter/levers and switched to XT shifters and Avid levers. The reason for the change was the LX levers felt wiggly , but worked just as well as the Avids. One area that some people miss is the cables. The cables are more important then the levers. If you don't have good cables, get the Avid cables for disks. That made such and improvement , I would skip the lever question and go for good cables.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Check the mechanical advantage setup on the XT levers. Don't know what they call it, used to be called servo-wave. Might be set to little advantage ie: small movement at lever, big movement at brake = lots of effort at lever, low power at brake.

Also the cables as Lititz said. I use plain old cables, no noticeable difference to me over the big buck cables, and it's easier to afford replacing the cheaper cables more often.

Might even be a pad/rotor contamination problem reducing the braking capacity. If it 'feels' like the calipers are grabbing plenty hard, but to little effect, look at the pads and rotors and give them a scuff and clean. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.