Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Avid Mech. 160mm or 185mm for Aggresive XC?

863 views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Festusjrf 
#1 ·
Should I just go with 160mm rotors, or 185's for claimed 15% more power?

#3 ·
Probably modulation over brute power

I'm 175lbs, ride in San Diego with not too long of downhills, and prefer modulation over "brute" power.

I think I'll try the 160s front and rear. I understand that for $30-$35 I can always put a 185 up front and experiment.

#4 · (Edited)
MBA said:
I understand that for $30-$35 I can always put a 185 up front and experiment.
Probably more like $50 unless you've got a good hookup. You need the bigger rotor (about $40 new) and an adaptor to run a bigger rotor (about $10).

FWIW, I am 195lbs and I ran 160s Front and Rear in Oklahoma with no need for more power at all. However, since moving to CO I've switched to 185 F&R as the 160s weren't cutting it on the long downhill runs.

#5 ·
hey

go with the 185 for starters------unless you don't a lot of downhill runs ( ie midwest) you will be much happier with the 185 up front and 160 rear. Good Luck!

#7 ·
I agree with Jdub.

I ride at the sorroundings of Mexico City where each and every trail make you spend a lot of time climbing just to gift you with long descents.

When using my 160 F/R mechs, the rear got some overheating (aparently I was not sending enough cooling air to the rear) and I wished for either a more powerful front to ligthen up the workload of my rear brake or a full 185 F/R setup.

I'm 150 (in riding order) btw, not heavy precisely.

At singletrack speeds and normal climbing/descending conditions, the 160 are enough to send you OTB in any situation, but on long, long descents, you'll like a bigger rotor to get some heat off.

Another option is to run Koolstop's or Galfer's pads. Those are semi-metallic (a la Hayes/Shimano/Magura) and do not generate as much heat.

Go for the simple approach. Switch pad compound, if it does not work go for bigger rotor front and if that is not even enough (?? - Avids are all about usable power) go for both bigger rotors.

#13 ·
MBA said:
Should I just go with 160mm rotors, or 185's for claimed 15% more power?

another vote for the 185/160 front/rear combo. just do that right from the start. i certainly didn't need the 185, but going to it fromt he 160 was veeeeery nice. i'd not go back to the 160 for any reason i can think of. more power, great modulation.

#15 ·
185 f & r for me

I go 230 and want all the confidence in stopping power I can get. I also got a steal on the set including SD 7 levers for $160.00. Given that the vendor was selling 160, 185 or 205 sets w/levers at the same price, the decision was very easy for me.

Clyde

#17 ·
The lever does make a diffrence

The speed dial lets you adjust the lever ratio. I found that the cable is very important when you use a mecanical brake. The avid flack jacket feels better to me than the Jagwire, i did not think the cable would matter that much. I run avid mechs 185 front and 160 rear, I found the front to be great on fast downhills but a bit grabby on slow technical stuff. I just got my juicy seven and will put them on soon they too are 185 160 I am looking for a better brake feel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.