Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I just bought some Juicy ultimates and straight out of the box had sticky pistons (right) on both front and rear calipers. So i got that sorted...
Install the rear brake, everythings going fine setup is a breeze. Onto the front brake - As i go to mount the caliper straight away i notice that its a tight fit with the right pad rubbing the rotor, so i take it off thinking the cps bolts are still a little tight not allowing full movement, so i undo them almost completely, same deal - The caliper cannot move any further inboard.
My setup is fairly standard - crossmax SL wheel, 07 Fox F100x and the juicy ultimates, with 6" rotors and adapters.

Now, i am a wrench, i know my way around a bike, and ive installed a few pairs of juicy's on other forks with crossmax's and they bolted straight up.
I just can't get my head around whats wrong ?

As the ultimate calipers are the same front an rear, i mounted the front caliper on the rear with the rear adapter and it works fine, so im thinking somehow the adapter may be the cause of the problem ?

Its making me insane....

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
caballero said:
OK, I just bought some Juicy ultimates and straight out of the box had sticky pistons (right) on both front and rear calipers. So i got that sorted...
Install the rear brake, everythings going fine setup is a breeze. Onto the front brake - As i go to mount the caliper straight away i notice that its a tight fit with the right pad rubbing the rotor, so i take it off thinking the cps bolts are still a little tight not allowing full movement, so i undo them almost completely, same deal - The caliper cannot move any further inboard.
My setup is fairly standard - crossmax SL wheel, 07 Fox F100x and the juicy ultimates, with 6" rotors and adapters.

Now, i am a wrench, i know my way around a bike, and ive installed a few pairs of juicy's on other forks with crossmax's and they bolted straight up.
I just can't get my head around whats wrong ?

As the ultimate calipers are the same front an rear, i mounted the front caliper on the rear with the rear adapter and it works fine, so im thinking somehow the adapter may be the cause of the problem ?

Its making me insane....
If it needs to go farther inboard then just add washers between the adapter and fork.

Larry

·
www.evocycles.ca
33 Posts
You've probably already checked this but I know in the past I have overlooked the obvious and spent a little too much time banging my head against the wall:
1. Make sure the axle of your crossmax wheel is full inserted into the dropouts and is not skewed.
2. Make sure you quick release is TIGHT. This can make a huge difference. I have dialed in caliper position in the past just to realize later that I had only lightly tightened the QR after taking it off my roof rack. Once I tightened the QR properly I had to reposition the caliper because the rotor moved about 2mm closer to the left fork leg.
3. Of course it might be that your fork, hub, rotor, or caliper (or all of them for that matter) are out of tolerance in which case "Ventanarama's" suggestions would probably be your best bet. Another option would be to add washers between the rotor and the hub, same diff.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the brake ain't the problem. Look to the hub. I've seen it before, adn the first time, much like you, drove me batty. Didn't matter what fork or brake, the dang thing would drag on the inboard pad. Now, you might be able to rig it by spacing the adapter or the rotor a tad, but I'd get in touch with Mavic sometime and see what those folks can do for you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
juancancook said:
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the brake ain't the problem. Look to the hub. I've seen it before, adn the first time, much like you, drove me batty. Didn't matter what fork or brake, the dang thing would drag on the inboard pad. Now, you might be able to rig it by spacing the adapter or the rotor a tad, but I'd get in touch with Mavic sometime and see what those folks can do for you.
I guess ill know this for sure early next week, as i have ordered a new set of wheels - DT 240s disc hubs / Aerolite spokes / Stans olympic rims so ill be able to tell if it is the hub .
For now i have spaced out the caliper with some al shims, but if its the same on the dt wheelset, i will get some rotor shims and space the rotor out...
Thanks for all the sugestions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, it probably has more to do w/ an out of spec hub or out of spec brake tabs on your fork. I've had this same issue w/ an old Marz DJ1 and an older Marz Dropoff IV and was told that Marz put out some lowers that put the caliper too far outboard. My problem is either w/ a Marz 20mm front Hub being out of spec or the Marz brake tabs being out of spec.

feel your pain. Like others have suggested......spacers...either behind the rotor to push it furthur outboard or behind the caliper to push it furthur inboard.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Marzocchi 20mm Thru-Axle forks use a different adapter. They use a 20mm adapter which is roughly 5mm thicker to push the caliper more inboard. 20mm TA hub spacing is different from QR by 10mm (5mm on each side). Marzocchi just had to make things different. Pike uses a standard QR adapter. Fox Forks use QR adapters as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.