Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Juicy Ultimate’s are really XC good brakes (for me who weights 160 pounds). They stopped fast and hard and they didn’t have excessive noise compared to what I’ve ridden before. I didn’t have any of the bleed problems I’ve heard about, these things have even been on the plane in an unpressurized cargo hold. They worked well.

That being said, I do not think they are a robust system when it comes to durability. I’ve crashed hard with other systems, so I know what a robust system can handle. But I cracked these brakes in a classic slow motion endo into some soft dirt – the brakes broke at its weakest point, where the pad contact screw goes right through the body, note that the lever is fine (and the clamp was torqued to spec.)

See attached for the picture…

Avid’s response was “we don’t have a crash replacement program” and are asking $145 if I want to replace them, which is unfortunate (the part is actually within the 2 year warranty period, but warranty doesn't cover crashes).

I am just trying to present the facts – take durability into consideration when you’re buying a brake set.

Astro Boy

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
just score a whole single brake on ebay for less than that sell off your remaining parts or keep them and have spare pads,caliper,hose and lever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts