Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2007 Juicy Ulitmates... I would like to know what pad it came with, if it was a avid organic or avid sintered pad. The backing plate appears to be copper.

I tried to find an email address to email Sram/Avid on the sram website but could not find any.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
With the 2007 Ultimate the pad was an Organic compound on a steel backing plate.

The 2008 pads are still Organic but now use an alloy backing plate to save weight.

·
*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
854 Posts
Cheers! said:
I have 2007 Juicy Ulitmates... I would like to know what pad it came with, if it was a avid organic or avid sintered pad. The backing plate appears to be copper.

I tried to find an email address to email Sram/Avid on the sram website but could not find any.

Thanks for reading.
I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that Avid brake pads are colour coded.
Copper coloured backing is sintered (metallic) compound and Black coloured backing plate is organic.
Haven't seen any alloy backed Avid pads yet but I believe they are currently only available in organic compound from Avid.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Alloy backed Avid Organic pads are availalbe.

You will never get alloy backed Sintered pads from anyone as the tempature required to cure the sintered pads would melt the alloy backing plate.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PUBCRAWL said:
I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that Avid brake pads are colour coded.
Copper coloured backing is sintered (metallic) compound and Black coloured backing plate is organic.
Haven't seen any alloy backed Avid pads yet but I believe they are currently only available in organic compound from Avid.
That would explain why my 2004 Avid BB7s with a copper backing plate braked so much differently when compared to the my 2007 Avid Ultimate. I thinking I like the sintered brake pad feel versus the organics...

The question then is:
Should I go with EBC Gold pads? I like the instant grabby feel of my BB7s. Or will I be happy with EBC Reds?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
This isnt correct.

An Organic pad has better braking than sintered - it has more bite but the trade off is they dont last long. A sintered is rock hard and lasts for a long time at the expense of power.

Your compairing Cable disks to Hydro disks - there will be a difference in feel.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tiffster said:
This isnt correct.

An Organic pad has better braking than sintered - it has more bite but the trade off is they dont last long. A sintered is rock hard and lasts for a long time at the expense of power.

Your compairing Cable disks to Hydro disks - there will be a difference in feel.
I thought it was the opposite:
Organic = better modulation lower coefficient of friction
Sintered metal = lower modulation high coefficient of friction. Can withstand very high temperatures.

At least that is what my past SCCA sports car racing experience tells me and pretty much what all the posting/threads about brake pads say on the brake subforum of MTBR...

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Certainly in my experience the Avid organic pads are much quieter and brake better on the 7's and Ultimates. The Ultimates come fitted with the alloy backed organic pads.

Special Features: Carbon fiber lever blade, Pad Contact-Point Adjustment, Tri-Align™ Caliper Positioning System™, Power Reserve Geometry™, Ambidextrous, Split Clamp/Matchmaker™ compatible, Drip-free bleeding, Indexed reach adjustment, Alloy Backed Pads - New, DOT 5.1 Standard - New

This is same as the difference as between the Performance and Endurance Magura Marta pads, where the performance pads don't last near as long.

·
Registered
849 Posts
hate to say it guys but tiffster is correct. just think about it....organic pads are a softer compound, so when you push them onto a disc they are ripped up alot easier but this causes alot more friction, whereas a sintered pad is much harder, when applied to a disc it almost glides over it only causing surface friction while the organic is more eaten by the disc.

and of course, the organic pads are quieter, and much more grippy on the disc but they do wear out quickly

·
Registered
54 Posts
liam2051 said:
hate to say it guys but tiffster is correct. just think about it....organic pads are a softer compound, so when you push them onto a disc they are ripped up alot easier but this causes alot more friction, whereas a sintered pad is much harder, when applied to a disc it almost glides over it only causing surface friction while the organic is more eaten by the disc.

and of course, the organic pads are quieter, and much more grippy on the disc but they do wear out quickly
Unfortunately you are incorrect. You would think an organic would be grippier, like a soft compound tire being stickier, but the organics are not as grippy and allow for better modulation. In order to get this better modulation the braking power is going to go down.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi

Whilst you're debating this subject can anyone give me some help?
I've two bikes - one with hope M4 brakes + sintered pads. Great feel/ modulation and plenty of stopping power.
I've also got a bike fitted with 2007 ultimates. Thing is the avids seem very off/ on compared with the hopes with little modulation - now they're about 6months old the front avid also seems to have lost power. I'm going to try a different set of pads - what would you guys recommend? I'd like to try to get good modulation - but with plenty of bite when I want it.

Cheers

·
Registered
849 Posts
JulesW said:
Hi

Whilst you're debating this subject can anyone give me some help?
I've two bikes - one with hope M4 brakes + sintered pads. Great feel/ modulation and plenty of stopping power.
I've also got a bike fitted with 2007 ultimates. Thing is the avids seem very off/ on compared with the hopes with little modulation - now they're about 6months old the front avid also seems to have lost power. I'm going to try a different set of pads - what would you guys recommend? I'd like to try to get good modulation - but with plenty of bite when I want it.

Cheers
on the avids have they had a bleed?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.