Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Can anybody give me some help. I'm of to the Alps end of July. Last year I had a problem with break fade. Not all the time but enough to make a bit weary. I don't drag my brakes as a rule but some of these runs are long and steep I have Juicy Sevens with 180 discs. I don't want to change my Avids or discs its only been a issue in the Alps no probs back home. I've found a hi performance fluid for motorbikes Motul Motorcycle brake fluid RB600 Factory Line it has a boiling point of 593f rather than 518f of dot 5.1. This seems like a good move what do you all think. As I say for a couple of weeks a year I don't want invest in new brakes.

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a DOT 4 100% synthetic fluid for hydraulic actuated-brake and clutch systems.
Here is the blurb.

All types of hydraulic actuated-brake and clutch systems requiring a non-silicone synthetic fluid. Specially designed to resist to high temperature of racing
actuated-brake (steel or carbon) and clutch systems.
Exceeds DOT 5.1 and DOT 3 standards also, except for viscosity at - 40°C (-40°F).
FMVSS 116
DOT 4
SAE J 1703

·
Registered
934 Posts
Got some Juicy 7s this week. I'm new to hydraulics and it's a complete joy to have them. Only two rides on them so far but what a difference from mechanicals! Can you describe to me what it may feel like if my brakes overheat?

As for your concern, switch the oil and test them out on some trail riding. Beats finding out at the worse time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If they overheat they will feel like nothing literally they will just fade away and you have no brakes! Its not something that happens very often if at all to most people but if your on a long steep decent and you are using your brakes a lot it can happen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If they overheat they will feel like nothing literally they will just fade away and you have no brakes! Its not something that happens very often if at all to most people but if your on a long steep decent and you are using your brakes a lot it can happen.

·
Registered
130 Posts
A little carry over experience from my car racing to determine if its the fluid or the pads.

When you get the "no brakes feel" does the brake lever stay firm or does it sink to the bar?

If the lever stays firm and you have no braking force you pads are fading, get some different pads which can take more heat being put into them.

If the level goes to the bar or feels soft its you fluid boiling and fading. Uprate the fluid or make sure there is no bubbles in your lines.

BTW I run the Motol PB600 in my race car and have had great success with it, still on the factory fluid for my Juicy 7's though :p

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
just don't use DOT 5 (ie. silicone based)... you should be able to safely use any polyethylene-glycol/borate ester based fluids (DOT 3/4/5.1, SUPER DOT 4, etc..). Might be safe to check with Avid, but I can't see why Motul RB600, or something like Castrol SRF (@ $80 a liter - ouch!) wouldn't work also...

and if you have 180's.... go with 203's - in combination with fresh and/or better fluid, will give you a bit more resistance to face (bigger rotor will absorb more heat)....

·
wants a taco
498 Posts
JayCee said:
Lever to the bar thats why I thought a higher boiling point fluid would help.
Ive had awesome success with motoul rbf 600 on my car when i was having issues with fade. It defintally sounds like fluid fade and even if you dont use the motoul fluid just getting some fresh fluid in there should make a big difference.

BTW sorry about you having to take a trip to the alps to go mountain biking...sounds terrible :madman:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your help I shall give it a go.
So my next question is any idea how much fluid I need so that I know I have completely replaced all the old fluid in each brake?

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
JayCee said:
Thanks for all your help I shall give it a go.
So my next question is any idea how much fluid I need so that I know I have completely replaced all the old fluid in each brake?
Go to your moto dealer & buy the standard bottle there will be enough in there to do about 6+ sets of brakes. :cornut:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
The Motul stuff is great.
I use it in my avids and all my motorcycles
Once brake fluid is over heated, it has a chemical break down and will overheat easier.
On my motorcycle, a KTM that I race enduros with, I sometimes have to flush and replace the fluid after every race( you're on the brakes hard for 4 + hours).

·
Registered
934 Posts
dogonfr said:
Way better then the stock pads, it's like night an day. The Galfers dont over heat & have much more control. :thumbsup:
I will write this down and get some for the future! Thanks as always, for the great advice since I started this sport over 2 years ago! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dogonfr said:
The Motul will work fine as others have said might also want to try the Galfer red semi metallic pads. :thumbsup:

Hi

Thanks again for all your advice. I've now replaced the fluid and there working great. I thought I would try Galfer pads I can only find one shop selling them in the UK and they say they are not suitable for Jucy 7 brakes as far as I'm aware the pads are the same for all Avid brakes or am I wrong.

Cheers

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
JayCee said:
dogonfr said:
The Motul will work fine as others have said might also want to try the Galfer red semi metallic pads. :thumbsup:

Hi

Thanks again for all your advice. I've now replaced the fluid and there working great. I thought I would try Galfer pads I can only find one shop selling them in the UK and they say they are not suitable for Jucy 7 brakes as far as I'm aware the pads are the same for all Avid brakes or am I wrong.

Cheers
All the Juicy and BB7 brakes use the same pads you are correct. :yesnod:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.