Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a pair of avid juicy 5 for my commute/mtb (I know..) bike. I've got everything

except the levers, and I realized hydraulic levers are way too expensive than mechanical

ones. So if I buy the latter, would my brake still work? Please let me know.. ;) Or, are there

any cheap hydraulic levers?

Oh and what I mean by expensive for levers= anything above $30

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Mechanical disc levers will NOT work w/ hydraulics.....I repeat. Nope, nada, zilch. What ever happened to your Juicy 5 hoses and levers? Good luck trying to find Juicy levers sold seperately. Who the hell ever sold you just hydraulic calipers and rotors only? If your budget is only $30.....I hate to break it to you......hydraulic brakes will not be present on your bike, at that price. Looks like you are not ready for hydros yet.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yea, levers new levers would cost you alot , and as the previous guy said, I can't believe the brakes didn't come with a hose nor levers.

Sorry ! :p;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I apologize I made much confusion, markf! I actually have yet picked them up.
I emailed my seller if he is including levers, and will wait for reply..
But anyways, this is what he said was included in the package I'm buying:

"Both brakes come with calipers, brake pads (in excellent shape), rotors (both straight), and all mounting hardware to fit on both style fork mounts"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im no expert, as you can see by my few posts, but i do have mechanical discs on my mountain bike. the rotor itself shoudl be fine, but the hydraulic calipers wrok by displacemtn of fluid, pushing the brake pads onto the rotor, so your cables on a hydraulic are full of fluid, and dont have a cable at all
if you want to buy mechanical calpers, you can attach a simple cable to the calipers, (once adjusted properly so they are not abvoe or scraping the rotor) and up to a brake lever, these mechanical caliper work by: (in wha tive seen on my bike)
pulling a little bearing like thing, that when turns, closes a pad onto the rotor

that was TERRRIBLE terminology and explainging, could think of the right words

hope this helps :D

·
Registered
851 Posts
You know I'm going to take a different tack on this and not make an assumption as to what he is purchasing. I think you need to post more information before anyone can give you good advice. It sounds like you have no idea what you are purchasing, therefore I'm assuming you have no idea what a reasonable price should be for it new. I would suggest you slow down and try to post as much information as you can.

Anthony

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I loffed at the post. I knew if time went on long enough, people would be getting confused with hydros and mechs, considering the number of posts going up where people want to "change the cables on their {hydraulic brake model]" or "change the hoses on their [mechanical brake mode]".

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Not bad, especially if you're getting front and rear for $35. If you are upgrading from V-brakes, you can use the levers you have. Still, I like the Avid Speed Dial 7 levers. $20 from treefortbikes.com right now. If you want to go cheaper, Avid FR-5 pair is $12 from the same site.

You may need a new set of cables as well. I was planning on upgrading anyways when I installed the brakes. The stock cables were cut too short to reach to the calipers. Just something you may want to budget for that way you are not surprised.

If you replace your levers and no not have locking grips, be careful removing the grips so you can reuse them. Use an air compressor with a needle tip in the end of the grip to help slide them on and off.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
yee0890 said:
So it turns out it's a mechanical. you guys were right. Btw, I'm buying everything except levers for $35. Not bad hmm?
So I was right, they're BB-5's? I'd be more impressed if you were getting BB-7s, a much better brake (easier to find pads for, too).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.