Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lost the silver retaining clip that fits onto the top of the caliper above the pads. i'm NOT talking about the clip that fits between the pads.
The pads haven't rattled loose or fallen out yet.
Is this retaining clip really essential.
The little clip is imho not well engineered, quite flimsy and finicky, maybe ok for a road bike.
There must be a better solution, come on Avid!

The Juicy 5's are awesome stoppers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This small clip helps to keep the pads in place when the wheel is not in the frame. As long as the wheel is in place, there's no way the pads would come out because of the small tip on the pistons.

I lost one of mine as well, and have been running without it for several months and miles. No problem what so ever.

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
Not sure but..

I was thinking that the clip helps push the pads/pistons back out, sort of like the springs on a v-brake. I kind of doubt it though, in an attempt to increase the pad spacing I bent the clip out further to increase the spring tension and did nothing.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Both of the above replies are correct. The pads will stay in without the clip if the rotor is in place. They will not retract without the clip so you may get pad rub and/or rattling.
I also think the clip does not let you use all of the pad material. The clip gets in the way and it also cause the pads to wear at an angle near the end of pad life.

Avid had a better method: magnets. Bring Back the Magnets!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.