Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Let me first apologize for being a rooKie. With that said here is my problem after following avid directions to a T on bleeding my 6 month old front brake, the step I run into a problem is when I "force the fluid from caliper syringe to lever syringe". When i push the fluid from caliper syringe, instead of filling the lever syringe like it says, it comes out of the master cylinder resivoir hole on the top. I can get some fluid in the lever syringe if I pull up on the lever syringe plunger while I push the caliper syringe in, but after finishing the rest of the steps brakes still dont work. What gives...am I just a total moron? :madman:

PLEASE HELP. I NEED TO GO RIDE!!

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I'm sorry but the only thing I can think of is you are not releasing the lever (rubber band) from the previous step (step 8). When the lever is pressed (pulled), it forces fluid from the master cylinder down into the caliper. It should now allow fluid to flow back towards the master cylinder. If this happened, there would be no force to push the pads onto the disk because the pressure would blead off back into the master cylinder.

If you're looking at the icons on clamping of the syringes, it might be confusing. They should both definitely be unclamped so you can allow fluid to flow from one syringe to the other.

In Step 10, as you squeeze the lever and release, you'll see it pulls fluid from the syringe at the master cylinder and pushes it into the syringer down at the caliper.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

aloha,
g

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I called sram and they told me that since I had taken off the master cylinder cover (as instructed in the directions) the black diaphram cover might have been not reseated wrong. After inspecting it I found he was right. I reseated the black diaphram and closed cover retrying all steps and VIOLA brakes! It feels somewhat squishy right now as the lever goes in to far to the handlebar but Im hoping after a few rides it strenghtens up.

If it doesnt does anyone know if there is a way to fix it WITHOUT rebleeding the whole system?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I turned the red knob to the out position before I bled the brake. And turning the red knob the other way only makes the lever go closer to the handlebar. I will ride it tomorrow and see if it gets any better. If not I will re-bleed....

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
MrShortcut said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I called sram and they told me that since I had taken off the master cylinder cover (as instructed in the directions) the black diaphram cover might have been not reseated wrong. After inspecting it I found he was right. I reseated the black diaphram and closed cover retrying all steps and VIOLA brakes! It feels somewhat squishy right now as the lever goes in to far to the handlebar but Im hoping after a few rides it strenghtens up.

If it doesnt does anyone know if there is a way to fix it WITHOUT rebleeding the whole system?
If it's spongey, then you still have air in the system. Might as well just bleed it. Takes about 5 minutes to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see. I was looking on the net and I found this article:
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/?op=articleview&id=2806
Specifically this part at the end of it:
"Once the system is bled, you shouldn’t have to bleed the caliper or the line ever again. If you start feeling sponginess in the levers, simply bleed the lever (i.e. from step 13)."

Is this true? Can I just open the bleed screw on the lever and put the syringe on and suck out any remaining air?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.