Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Juicy 5's and I noticed that the pads aren't open wide enough to fit over the rotors. I read a thread about this a little bit ago, but after searching I can't seem to find it. The pads are also pretty hard to take out. I was thinking about getting a set of Avid Clean Sweep Rotors because I have some Tektro Wavy ones, would this help? I already know that I'm going to have to rebleed them anyways, so does anyone have tips for opening them up to fit onto the rotors? :confused:

- Joe

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Try pushing the pistons back into their bores by inserting a screwdriver between the pads and rocking gently to work them back in. If one piston goes in, and the other comes out, the system is overfilled. You'll have to open the bleedport at the lever while resetting the pistons. Any excess fluid will be pushed out when you push the pistons back in. Make sure the lever is parallel to the ground and higher than the caliper.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will I need a bleed kit for this or do I just need some little wrenches for this? How do I reset the pistons too?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
You should not need a bleed kit as long as you don't introduce any air to the system. The bleed port uses a small torx wrench, I want to say it's a t20, but don't quote me on that. Try resetting the pistons first. To reset the pistons, just insert a slotted screwdriver between the pads and rock them back and forth gently until the pads are pushed all the way back against the caliper.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems that one of the pistons is very hard to push in, while the other is all the way in. I also can't manage to fit the screwdriver in without kind of scratching the pads? I guess I'll try what you said about opening it up and reseting the pistons. Could you give me a quick description of how to do that XSL_WiLL?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just did it to my J7's. Take the caliper off the bike (just to make it easier to handle) and take the pads out (or you'll gouge them with the screw driver). Once the pads are out, insert the screw driver and pry the pads back. If one goes all the way in and the other won't (EXACTLY what mine was doing), you have too much fluid in the system. Rotate the lever on the bar so that it is horizontal - keep the caliper LOWER than the lever at all times - put a rag around the bleed screw on the lever and loosen it (no need to completely remove it) - with the bleed screw loose, pry the pistons all the way back into the caliper (they should go flush with the caliper housing) - this will push a bit of fluid out of the loose bleed screw (wipe this up cause it will remove paint!) - tighten the bleed screw - reinstall the pads - reinstall the caliper and re-center it.

Hope that helps.

Dan

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, I did exactly as WiLL said and it worked out perfectly. I think i might of hurt the pads a little bit but those can be replaced. There happened to be a good amount of fluid in mine, and now that I've done it, the breaks are perfect. The information was exactly what I was looking for. I didn't get to your post Dan, but that is also to each step what I did. (Just didn't take out the pads). I'm about to go do it to my other break. Thanks for the help

- Joe

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
joe.MTB said:
well, I did exactly as WiLL said and it worked out perfectly. I think i might of hurt the pads a little bit but those can be replaced. There happened to be a good amount of fluid in mine, and now that I've done it, the breaks are perfect. The information was exactly what I was looking for. I didn't get to your post Dan, but that is also to each step what I did. (Just didn't take out the pads). I'm about to go do it to my other break. Thanks for the help

- Joe
One small detail, Joe. just make sure you didn't contaminate the pads and clean everything with isopropyl alcohol before burning the pads in again....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, nothing touched the pads except for the screw driver. The only marks on the pads are on the top from trying to get the flat head screwdriver in.

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
joe.MTB said:
Yeah, nothing touched the pads except for the screw driver. The only marks on the pads are on the top from trying to get the flat head screwdriver in.
Good to go then! :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
joe.MTB said:
Can anyone recommend a good rotors for the Juicy 5's or is it just preference.

I have read good reports on Galfer rotors (somewhat expensive though), I think most "name brand" rotors will be fine, so it is mostly preference...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sounds good. I've never heard of Galfe rotors though. I might just try and go with some Hope rotors.

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
joe.MTB said:
sounds good. I've never heard of Galfe rotors though. I might just try and go with some Hope rotors.

I have used normal (no aluminum carrier) Hope rotors on my XTs without problems

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did a quick search on that and I am surprised that there was a good amount regarding conflicting problems with the floating rotors and calipers. Some people ended up filing off some of their caliper and I'm not sure if I'm up to that. I'll do some more searching for the juicy 5's though. The floating rotors look sick thogh too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If anyone does have an experience with the Hope floating rotors and the Juicy 5's feel free to chime in

1 - 20 of 30 Posts