Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a cheap, reliable set of hydros for my XC bike. I saw a used set of Juicy 3s, but can't find them metioned in any product reviews. The few online stores that carry them don't have pics. Can someone point me to a resource? Are they decent quality brakes?

·
Interlectchewal
1,170 Posts
RTM said:
I'm looking for a cheap, reliable set of hydros for my XC bike. I saw a used set of Juicy 3s, but can't find them metioned in any product reviews. The few online stores that carry them don't have pics. Can someone point me to a resource? Are they decent quality brakes?
Juicy 3s were new this year as an OEM-only brake set. The shops that are selling them are pulling them out of parts packages intended for complete bikes. From what I've read, they're very similar to Juicy 5s, but with a few minor differences. You can see a bit about them here. There should be a few posts about them if you do a search.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
The best deal right now on hydros is Shimano LX.

They work as wll as XT and weigh only 14 grams more for both calipers. You can get the calipers at Jenson or Performance for $34 a piece and the levers for $60 for both at Jenson. That's $128 total for a great brake system.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
A monoblock caliper MAY (may not) be stiffer than a 2-piece, but it may make no difference if the 2-piece caliper does not flex. The monoblock can have the same stiffness with less weight, which I think is the case here.

The only review that I've ever seen comparing the LX to the XT showed no difference in performance. If you have data that shows a performance (or stiffness difference), I'd like to see it.

Ironically, even the Shimano literature does not say that XT is stiffer or has better performance than the LX.

The Shimano XT755. These were the 4-piston models that most will tell you had more power than the current XT. Those were a 2-piece design.

The Avid Code FR/DH brakes are a 2-piece design with enormous power.

There are many more examples.

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info. would the juicy 3 be powerful enough for an advanced 190lb rider on some steep, high speed descents? I'm currently using Avid BB5s. The front is fairly weak but sufficient, the rear is really weak. really gives my forearms a workout after a few hours.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
RTM said:
thanks for the info. would the juicy 3 be powerful enough for an advanced 190lb rider on some steep, high speed descents? I'm currently using Avid BB5s. The front is fairly weak but sufficient, the rear is really weak. really gives my forearms a workout after a few hours.
I don't know enough about the Juicy 3 to give you a good answer to your question. I would tend to think that hydros will be better than mechanicals as far as hand and forearm fatigue go.

I know that I love my BB7s, but my forearms ache after a long downhill run.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
A monoblock caliper MAY (may not) be stiffer than a 2-piece, but it may make no difference if the 2-piece caliper does not flex. The monoblock can have the same stiffness with less weight, which I think is the case here.

The only review that I've ever seen comparing the LX to the XT showed no difference in performance. If you have data that shows a performance (or stiffness difference), I'd like to see it.

Ironically, even the Shimano literature does not say that XT is stiffer or has better performance than the LX.

The Shimano XT755. These were the 4-piston models that most will tell you had more power than the current XT. Those were a 2-piece design.

The Avid Code FR/DH brakes are a 2-piece design with enormous power.

There are many more examples.
2-piece but more pistons and pad area. That's not a fair comparison. It's also true that more pistons does not necessarily increase control or power.

Yes, you are correct that 2-piece may not be any flexier than a single piece.

Only way to tell is to throw both brakes on a brake dyno.

It is in my opinion that the XT offers more performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
well I'm using Juicy 3's now and they are quite reliable for xc and a little bit of dh.
If ur going to b doing some dh i suggest BB7s. Juicy 3's are really irritating to re-bleed, they break relatively easily especially durring dh. My friend had a small accident on a road and the levers started to leak. :S But the stopping power and weight are very good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.