Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have already searched for this but was unable to find anything specifically related to the Avid Juicy 3 SL brake system. Alright, so I just bought a 2011 Rockhopper Pro 20er and am already experiencing brake issues. My rear brake has a god-awful squeal (but still stops fine) and my front has a gobble going on. I dont know what to do. I took the pads out and they seem to be fine (as far as wear goes). Any suggestions? I am willing to upgrade my rotors and or brake pads. Thanks guys

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've had horrible luck with my last few sets of Juicy and Elixer brakes. I think it's the rotor cut. I ended up using Hayes rotors and they ran quiet after that. Avid even gave me a new set of rotors and organic pads. The pads only lasted 300 miles in the dry desert so I went back to metallic pads and they worked fine with the Hayes rotors.

·
Registered
318 Posts
There are 15 pages of almost useless information in this thread.

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/juicy-brake-turkey-warble-vibration-mega-thread-425196.html

When I tried sanding my rotors there was a significant drop in braking power. Careful.

I actually called Sram tech support to see what they had to say. The person I got said the squeal comes from not properly braking in the system. The rotors need 10 slow downs from medium speed to walking speed. Then do 10 slow downs from high speed to walking speed. Once you let the rotors cool you are then ready to ride. If this process is skipped the pads and rotors need to be replaced because the rotor did not pick up enough material from the pads.
Sram sent me new G2 rotors and organic pads and this has been working well.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I actually called Sram tech support to see what they had to say. The person I got said the squeal comes from not properly braking in the system. The rotors need 10 slow downs from medium speed to walking speed. Then do 10 slow downs from high speed to walking speed. Once you let the rotors cool you are then ready to ride. If this process is skipped the pads and rotors need to be replaced because the rotor did not pick up enough material from the pads.
Sram sent me new G2 rotors and organic pads and this has been working well.[/QUOTE]

SRAM gave me new hard wear also. Then I went over the bars when my pads were completely gone in one month and didn't modulate any more. It is suprising that a company gives away so many rotors and pads to help and it still doesn't work until you use another companies rotors. The bedding in process doesn't help either.

I'm done with SRAM brakes. I'm going to XTR's now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sram/Avid explains the bedding / break-in procedure in their service document pdf. I followed their process exactly and it worked well. I've been satisfied for 4 months now. All other methods were only short term fixes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.