Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone successfully reused the compression ring and thread hose barb from a cut piece of brake hose????

i have to bleed my brakes anyways and was going to shorten the hose while i was at it.... but obviously no bike shop is open to get the little parts.....

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Don't even try, it's a one-time use compression fitting, when you take it out, you will see the compression ring all mangled up. I've always had to cut the end of the hose off to get clean material to attach another one to.

FWIW, i've never use a hose cutter to cut my lines... a fresh razor blade works fine for avid hoses

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

thanks .... but I posted before i opened the bleed kit... it came with 2 extra set of compressions nuts and threaded bolt.....

first time bleeding the system was a success.... at least i think it was....

brakes work and i'm very happy about it....

how far should you be able to pull the lever before it stops???? is the softness of the brake lever = the quality of bleed?

mine stops before the handle....about an inch but the first inch does nothing....

gonna have to find someone with a good set of hydros to see the difference...

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
nicolicious said:
how far should you be able to pull the lever before it stops???? is the softness of the brake lever = the quality of bleed?

mine stops before the handle....about an inch but the first inch does nothing....

gonna have to find someone with a good set of hydros to see the difference...
This is a video by Hayes main difference is the syringes. Hayes uses .015 feeler gauges I ended up somewhere between .028-.035 for Avids. :thumbsup:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=415647

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.