Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an HSX rotor for my bike. I do a lot of all mountain riding, and yes, even take it up chair lifts in the summer.

This Avid HSX rotor seems really well made, and that's why I bought it, but it came with a warning label that says it's for trail use only.

Should I consider purchasing a different rotor... or will I be fine using this? I am using it with a Shimano XT brake.

·
Registered
31 Posts
High-50's to low-60's (USD) is the lowest I've seen for the 6-bolt model, unless you want to roll the dice on buying who-knows-what from China on eBay. I got the last two 180mm 6-bolt rotors from Art's Cyclery. They had the lowest price plus 15% off and free shipping. You can find better prices on the Center Lock version all over the internet.

I think the HSX's are all drying up though. From the looks of Sram's site, the HSX's were discontinued. All I see are second gen Cleansweeps and Centerlines. Centerlines are Sram's new high-end rotors. I'm a little skeptical about the design but what do I know.

·
Registered
432 Posts
there not made for long descents (lift service) or DH. If that is what you are intending on doing, get different rotors. Not sure what the OP is looking for. You want someone to tell you that you can disregard the warning? Avid is telling you under what conditions this rotor is intended for. You decide as to whether you want to heed the warning or not (at your own risk).

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
If the rotor does not have that yellow sticker label and date of manufacture....it is a cheap Chinese copy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
True. Although even with a sticker and date, who knows when it comes to suspiciously cheap products coming from places where counterfeiting is a big industry. Brakes are one part where I like to stick with a good, reputable seller.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts