Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my avid full metal jacket in the mail today.

I have two questions after opening the package and looking at them.

1.) red plastic tubes inside the metal tubes are used right? When you go install the system the steel brake cable goes inside the red plastic tubes which go inside the stainless steel tubes right?

2.) See attached. You cut this off right?

Dear AVID/SRAM: The instructions are horrible. You might as well not put any instructions with the product.

Attachments

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
One note: those shrinky dinks that join the metal rods to the ferrules are a pain in the butt. Make sure you have enough of the material for all the joins before you start with the shrinking process. You may need to cut some in half. Also, use a candle or Zippo, since a hair dryer takes months to work.

Good luck, it took me four or five hours of messing around before getting those damned things cut to the correct length.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guyechka said:
One note: those shrinky dinks that join the metal rods to the ferrules are a pain in the butt. Make sure you have enough of the material for all the joins before you start with the shrinking process. You may need to cut some in half. Also, use a candle or Zippo, since a hair dryer takes months to work.

Good luck, it took me four or five hours of messing around before getting those damned things cut to the correct length.
check, thanks for the tip. I got a heat gun. I have lots of heat shrink of various diameters from 10 years of tinkering on cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.