Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
One Love
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am transitioning from my old POS trek 820. Im buying a sette shadow frame, as well as a new wheelset and BB7s. For the bb7s, I would like to get new levers. What I want to know is whether I can simply replace The levers, and keep my old shimano shifter (im keeping the whole drivetrain from the trek) or whether I would need to buy new shifters. essintially are the Fr-5 lever compatible with shimano shifters.

·
One Love
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you :) and thanks for the derailure hanger tip. can I get them on pricepoint?

·
One Love
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wildkyle90 said:
are you asking if new shifters will work with old drivetrain? i would save up for new shifters it would be worth it.
no. I am just asking if the avid brake levers will work with the same old shimano shifters. like if they will fit together on the bar nicely.

·
In Transit
1,097 Posts
They should work, assuming that your shifters aren't integrated with your current brake levers. Also, you might want to look at the Avid SD7 levers for the same price since they have an adjustable pivot point.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
jinxley said:
thank you :) and thanks for the derailure hanger tip. can I get them on pricepoint?
They dont list them for sale, but if you call they may have them. I have heard a story of someone asking and them sending 2 for free.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
My SD-7 lever fits pretty good with my SLX shifter and my older shimano one. It's not a perfect match like using the combo levers or the Avid / SRAM matchup, but it is still pretty nice. There's no crowding on the bar and I didn't have any trouble getting the trigger or brake lever adjusted to my hand.

Those are great levers for the price by the way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.