Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
tl1 said:
155 grams claimed, 154 grams actual. Haven't used them yet but they look good for a low cost pair of levers.
Wonder what happened to the rest. Avid was supposed to be re-doing their whole lineup of Speed Dial levers in the image of the FR-5. That was over a year ago. Hope the deal with SRAM didn't somehow nix it.

FR-5 is a good looking, lightweight lever, but I really think I'd miss the Speed Dial adjustment.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
TheRedMantra said:
I could do w/o the speed dial. I never use it. I like to set my brakes up how I like and leave them like that. The speed dial is only extra weight.
I set my Speed Dial to my liking and generally leave it alone. The million dollar question is, where is the leverage point set on the FR-5 levers? I can tell you that if they're set "perfectly" for the front, they'll automatically be imperfect for the rear (my F & R Speed Dial adjustments are never the same).

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm with you...

Speedüb Nate said:
I set my Speed Dial to my liking and generally leave it alone. The million dollar question is, where is the leverage point set on the FR-5 levers? I can tell you that if they're set "perfectly" for the front, they'll automatically be imperfect for the rear (my F & R Speed Dial adjustments are never the same).
Great adjustment capability. I can't imagine them ditching it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Speedüb Nate said:
Wonder what happened to the rest. Avid was supposed to be re-doing their whole lineup of Speed Dial levers in the image of the FR-5. That was over a year ago. Hope the deal with SRAM didn't somehow nix it.
I got Avid brochure from Lago di Garda festival in early May. Whole lineup was redesigned:
- brake arms have more pronounced i-beam profile
- brake levers are ambidextrous (sp?), anyway left and right lever similar (wonder why no other company had this design, some $$$ to be saved in manufacturing)
- indexed Speed dial
- wider blade
- new noodle rubber cover, very small
lever design is abou the same as FR-5 with above additions, "Speed Dial SL" might have different casting in body.

They didn't have new models on display though...

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Speedüb Nate said:

FR-5 is a good looking, lightweight lever, but I really think I'd miss the Speed Dial adjustment.
I just noticed that they have the new line of levers at Jenson. The SL is a claimed 140 grams with Speed Dial. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub.aspx?i=111

1 - 7 of 7 Posts