Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of building a Surly Pugsley for regular mountain bike riding, and for riding near my house on the beach on the wet pack.

I am basing the components on something that will put up with abuse of real beach riding and i am now down to the brakes.

Would high end brakes like Avid Elixirs be totally ridiculous for this type of abusive application? Or will the carbon fiber etc in the components resist corrosion etc. I am not even sure if the calipers on the elixirs are made of CF or not.

Basically i want components that arent going to rust riding in this environment.

I do need disc brakes on this bike so it is either the elixirs or a mechanical avid bb7 for this bike.

Any insight you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
As far as I know nobody uses carbon fiber for a brake caliper (Funn has something which uses a lot of carbon but I'm not sure if they go so far as to use it for the caliper and Magura's new brakes technically aren't carbon fiber). If there is any carbon on the elixirs it is going to be on the levers.

As for corrosion, are you riding on a saltwater beach? Aluminum is what most brakes are made out of and it doesn't usually corrode unless you get mercury in contact with it.

I haven't used either of these brakes but do know that the bb7's are generally labeled the best mechanical disc brake on the market. I have ridden Magura, Formula, Shimano, and Hayes quite extensively but based on your listed criteria, probably just about any brake would get the job done.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have BB7s on my 1x9, Elixir CRs w/ carbon levers on my SS, and ride on the beach. I'm sure either one is fine, but I'd be more concerned with getting sand and salt water in the cables, pivots and other exposed moving parts on the BB7s. On the other hand, BB7s are cheap and easy to fix if the sand does kill them.

Between the two, I'd go for Elixirs and a SS drive train to reduce the number of moving parts.

My Elixir CRs on the beach with no problems:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
As long as you care for your parts (wash them regularly if you are riding in harsh conditions) they will last just fine for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts