Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of Elixir CRs - 185 on the front and 160 on the rear. My front works like a champ, but my rear does not seem to modulate. It is either off or on. I only get a 1/16 of travel between where the brake begins to make contact and total stopage. It realy makes it impossible to "feather" the brake. Also it runs true through the pads, so I do not think the rotor is warped.

My bike is only a couple months old and it has been doing it from just about the start. Any ideas on what might be causing this? I have a 2 hour drive to my LBS, so if I can fix it myself that would be preferred.

Has anyone experienced this issue before?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Are you using the same pad compound front and rear? When you are braking, your weight will shift forward and unweight the rear. This will allow the rear to break loose and skid. You could try a different pad compound or downsizing to a 140mm rotor. Or you could run a tire that brakes better.

·
Registered
334 Posts
sounds like the rear pistons arent fully set in the bores. I would adjust the pad contact in the rear to allow the pads more time to engage. This will result in a bit longer throw at the lever, which should provide the modulation you are looking for. The elixirs are great brakes and their modulation is definitely a strong point.

·
Registered
578 Posts
dondo576 said:
I bought a pair of Elixir CRs - 185 on the front and 160 on the rear. My front works like a champ, but my rear does not seem to modulate. It is either off or on. I only get a 1/16 of travel between where the brake begins to make contact and total stopage. It realy makes it impossible to "feather" the brake. Also it runs true through the pads, so I do not think the rotor is warped.

My bike is only a couple months old and it has been doing it from just about the start. Any ideas on what might be causing this? I have a 2 hour drive to my LBS, so if I can fix it myself that would be preferred.

Has anyone experienced this issue before?
Probably a dumb question... but have you tried adjusting the red knob at all, which changes the distance of the pad to the rotor?

·
Registered
428 Posts
The red nob does not move the pads at all, not a bit, no movement whatsoever. It will only adjust where in the lever's travel the pads start to move.

Make sure the pistons are pushed completly back into the caliper and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the pads out and checked the pistons. The inner piston is moving fine, but the outer piston is not moving or very little. I will try cleaning the piston and getting them both to move equally and see if that helps.

Also I read that maybe the rotor did not get "broke in" properly and might have "bite". They recommended sanding the rotor and pads a touch and then brake them in again.

If freeing the piston does not work, I am going to try the latter.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
dondo576 said:
I took the pads out and checked the pistons. The inner piston is moving fine, but the outer piston is not moving or very little. I will try cleaning the piston and getting them both to move equally and see if that helps.

Also I read that maybe the rotor did not get "broke in" properly and might have "bite". They recommended sanding the rotor and pads a touch and then brake them in again.

If freeing the piston does not work, I am going to try the latter.
I doubt very much that sanding will solve your particular issue. Please keep us posted, as I (and probably others) are interested in these brakes. :cool:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Seanbike said:
The red nob does not move the pads at all, not a bit, no movement whatsoever. It will only adjust where in the lever's travel the pads start to move.
That's too bad. I really like the sound of these brakes, but I would prefer it worked more like the XT's Servo Wave levers where the pads can be farther from the rotors most of the time. :madman:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I rode a GF Roscoe 3 the other day (stock with Avid Elixir CR) and I have to say I was quite impressed with the modulation.

Granted I have become accustom to my winter 'beater' (an '08 Kona with Hayes MX4 mech discs). Still, on icey and snowy trails I had no issues with unintentional lock-up or poor modulation. These are definately one finger brakes, though. Very powerful- at least for the stuff around me in S.E. Michigan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.