Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
Note that Bike Bling is selling the Elixir CR Carbon for $143 ($159 minus the 10% discount), and Bike Bling is selling the regular Elixir CR (without the carbon lever) for $135. I think for eight bucks I'd take the carbon lever.

·
IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
730 Posts
on a somewhat sour note... I got conformation of my order today but they say that they won't have them in untill the 8th...

....but I want them now.... ehhhh whatever i guess ill have to wait.

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
DriveByBikeShooting said:
on a somewhat sour note... I got conformation of my order today but they say that they won't have them in untill the 8th...

....but I want them now.... ehhhh whatever i guess ill have to wait.
Or you could cancel your order and just get them right now from Bike Bling, with the carbon levers instead of the aluminum levers that you ordered, for only 8 bucks a set more. :thumbsup:

·
Just hit it with speed
480 Posts
Anyone notice any cheaper prices on the R or the CR Eixir since the first post??

More specifically I am looking for a Rear 160mm model. Lowest that I have seen is 109.99-10% at Bike Bling.

FYI: I weighed my Front Avid Elixir R brake and it was actually 5 or 6 grams lighter than the CR compared to a photo I saw posted online of a Front CR.

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
GFisher2001 said:
Anyone notice any cheaper prices on the R or the CR Eixir since the first post??

More specifically I am looking for a Rear 160mm model. Lowest that I have seen is 109.99-10% at Bike Bling.

FYI: I weighed my Front Avid Elixir R brake and it was actually 5 or 6 grams lighter than the CR compared to a photo I saw posted online of a Front CR.
Just bought a F&R set of Avid Elixir r's at my local REI (Denver,CO) for 69.95 a piece.:thumbsup:

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
I believe retailers are blowing out the Avids because of all of the problems people have had with vibration, squealing and turkey gobble. Avid has even released a technical service bulletin relating to this problem.

I am dealing with these issues now with my Avid Elixir CRs that came on my 29er, which is un rideable due to extreme vibration, which has rendered the rear brake ineffective. The front is so loud that it is a severe distraction to riding. Without going into too much detail about caliper alignment, rotor cleaning and pad sanding 'fixes', much can be read about the issues people are having with Avid brakes by doing a Google search, or an MTBR search for "noise" or "turkey gobble".

My old 4 pot Deore XT disc brakes on my 26" bike were flawless for 10 years, and even though they weigh 3x what the Elixirs do, I am considering replacing the Elixirs with the old XTs temporarily until I can afford a better, lighter set.

There is probably a reason why we are seeing such "great deals" on Avid Elixir hydros.

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
isleblue65 said:
I believe retailers are blowing out the Avids because of all of the problems people have had with vibration, squealing and turkey gobble. Avid has even released a technical service bulletin relating to this problem.

I am dealing with these issues now with my Avid Elixir CRs that came on my 29er, which is un rideable due to extreme vibration, which has rendered the rear brake ineffective. The front is so loud that it is a severe distraction to riding. Without going into too much detail about caliper alignment, rotor cleaning and pad sanding 'fixes', much can be read about the issues people are having with Avid brakes by doing a Google search, or an MTBR search for "noise" or "turkey gobble".

My old 4 pot Deore XT disc brakes on my 26" bike were flawless for 10 years, and even though they weigh 3x what the Elixirs do, I am considering replacing the Elixirs with the old XTs temporarily until I can afford a better, lighter set.

There is probably a reason why we are seeing such "great deals" on Avid Elixir hydros.
i've yet to read of any brake that doesn't have a group of folks dealing with squeal and nearly equal numbers who have not had any problems. especially when talking about brakes within a reasonable price. not necessarily defending Avids but that I don't think Avid is alone. for every brake, you can find some who claim it's the shizzle and other who claim it's just sh!t.

i'm building a bike now and have been reading about what brakes to put on. most folks around my area seem to like the elixirs. so we'll see and hopefully not hear.

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
I just got a bleed kit and organic pads. I was surprised at how much air I got out of the factory bled system. I kept tapping the caliper and bubbles kept coming out under vacuum. Same with the reservoir at the lever. Also plenty of black balls of liquid that was separated from the DOT 5 fluid, which I suspect is assembly oil of some kind.

I also cleaned the rotors once more and installed the organic pads. We'll see how it works.

If it starts squealing at least I'll have the metallic pads and Alligator wind cutters as a back up.

The bottom line is that I would recommend that anyone who buys these brakes do a bleed, because there was more air in the system than there should be.

·
IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
730 Posts
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO just got my elixir cr's in from bikebling!!!!!!! TOO BAD MY BIKE IS STILL IN THE SHOP... anyhow I also ordered a reba 29er from there for my other bike and its so sexy!!!

+3 for bikebling they rocka

·
West Chester, PA
5,009 Posts
This is tempting but the last time I took advantage of one of bike bling's super sale prices i waited a month and had to cancel the order. I hope you guys actually get them.

And yeah, more complaints about avids because there are so many of their brakes out there. I think the percentage of complaints per brakesets produced probably isn't higher than any other company. I was having trouble with my juicy ultimate squealing on the back of my specialized stumpjumper fsr... guess what, that brake is now on a Pivot with a 1 piece rear end and it hasn't so much as peeped. Maybe it was the horst link frame. Hmmm...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.