Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
My name is Max and I´m a cyclist from Germany. Since I have some serious problems with the bleeding procedure of the Elixir CR breaks- and not even one user of a german board was able to name a solution, I decided to log on mtbr- so here I am:p

The problem is, that there is no way for me to press break fluid through the lever of the break!

After preparing the standard bleeding procedure by turning all adjusting screws to their upper limit position, I tried to press fluid from the brake up to the lever but it blocked- I dissembled the hose and opened the cylinder section of the lever: It seems that their is no way for the fluid to pass the cylinder sealing (what I am sure it should)

Does anyone of you knows sth. about the issue or am I just to dumb to bleed a disc break?

Thanks for your answers and excuse the vocabulary

greetings
max

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Check the lever reach adjustment.
Back it off a bit from where you have it now and then repeat the bleed process.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Norman,
thanks for your reply! I tried to solve the problem with the reach adjustment wheel several times but it seems that the 3 radial holes in the Master cylinder are blocked by the sealing from the beginning- If I try to press Oil through the system now, there is no position of the reach adjuster which allows a free float of the fluid- exact same situation On the pad contact adjuster

If I find Dome Time today, I will prepare a visualisation

Just for Information: the lever is disconnected from the hose - that should not be a problem I guess?

Greetings,
Max

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Pad Contact Point adjustment should be turned out-away from the arrow direction on the lever. Bleed port facing up.
Lever reach should not be full out.
Having the reach full out, can block the ports so you can't push fluid.
Sounds like you opened up the lever assembly already? If so, and you did not find any failed seal material( small flakes or chunks of what looks like rubber), then it sounds like it's the lever reach problem that people often experience when trying to bleed Elixirs.

This video here mentions the reach adjustment at 1:27 and explains why. Approx 75mm lever distance from the center of the bar.
How to bleed your Avid Elixir brakes - YouTube

This video here mentions the leaver to be positioned 75-80mm from the bar
Do It Yourself: Avid Elixir Brake Bleed - YouTube

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good evening folks,
Finally I solved the problem so if anybody has the same problem that the lever blocks the fluid whether lever reach or pad contact adjusters are on their upper limit, check the sealings of the master cylinder!
The O-ring (10x2.5) increases its diameter after some time so also the upper end of its reach is blocked. I assembled a new O-ring and now the fluid runs properly through the system.
Thanks for your invested time Norman!

greets
Max

1 - 5 of 5 Posts