Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed toward a new Tallboy with the R package and a wheel upgrade. I might make a few other upgrades at purchase time and I'm wondering about these brakes. Anyone able to report experience with them, esp. the 2012 versions? Reliable? Loud? The brake forum indicates potential squealing but some people seem to think they're fine. I'd probably upgrade to the XTs. The shop will give some credit but it still would cost a bit. I'd like to just ride them for a while unless they are total dogs.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My 2012 Blur LT2 came with the Elixir 5's. I'm fairly certain the 2012 model of those as it did have the HS1 rotors (180F 160R). From day one they howled and vibrated. LBS got them to howl/vibrate a bit less, but it didn't go away. Doesn't really inspire downhill confidence with those.
Got the new XT brake setup and did my first real ride with them today. There just is no comparison, XT hands down.

·
Not smart enough to shift
455 Posts
Just thought I would give a little props to the brakes. I'm actually the other way around. Had XT's and switched to Avids. There was nothing wrong with the XT's, we just had three other sets of Avid brakes on my wife's bikes and mine. I still have the set of stock Elixer 5's off my Tallboy. They are on my wife's Black Cat now. I ran them with XX rotors on my Tallboy and they were great. Zero noise and zero maintenance...Just cleaning. Avid brakes are fantastic if you take the time to set them up well. They do take more time in that regard, but afterwards they preform very well.

Just my .02, take it for what ya paid for it. :)

Cheers,
Andy

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
If you know how to bleed them, they are very nice brakes. Have a set of Elixir R on my Salsa....swapped the stock pads for Orgaincs and gave them a good bleed. No vibration, no turkey garble.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a set of Avid´s Elixir 5 installed on my Blur LTc and they dont vibrate but do howl a lot when applied hard. For some reason they require a lot of adjustement to avoid drag.
In my other bike i have XT´s and they perform a lot better in this regard.
In my old XT brakes i didnt need a special kit to bleed them and thats something that bothers me about the Avid. Once these pads go i will replace the brakes with a new set of XT´s or maybe XTR Trail, depending of money available. What discs would you recommend to match these brakes?

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
WHAT DID YOU SAY? I WAS OUT RIDING YESTERDAY. I PASSED SOMEONE ON AVID BRAKES AND MY EARS STILL HURT FROM THE NOISE THEY MADE. CAN YOU PLEASE SPEAK UP? HUH????

Do youself a favor and run from those.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Put some on my girlfriends bike last month before we headed to CO for two weeks of riding and she loves them. Though she isn't to picky or knowledgeable in what to compare them to except for some old Juicy 7's. While setting them up and testing them on the street they felt/look (less color and graphics) exactly like my old 07' Elixir R's that I have on my V10, which perform great.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Yesterday, I finished building up a Blur LT2 (1 1/8" head tube). I put the new XT M785's on it. I posted a thread titled "I hate the new 2012 XT brakes" in the brake forum while building up my bike.

My first test ride was today. The brakes seemed to work fine. No howling. Good one finger stopping power. The bling shiny chrome looks good with the black anodizing. I did hear some rubbing on the front while turning sharply in the parking lot. You should read the "I love the new 2012 XT brakes" thread too. There are reports of leaking problems. No leaks yet on mine. I'll have to check in the daylight whether my first trail ride caused any leaking.

Then to eliminate all the brakes made in the world, read the thread "Why does anyone buy Avid brakes anymore?"

Ten days ago, Bluesky had a sale on a brake package, which included a set of XT M785 brakes, your choice of 180/160 XT R75 rotor in front, 160 XT R75 rotor in back with adapters--all for $250. I passed on that sale after reading the thread "I love my new 2012 XT brakes", then a week later after I read the "Why does anyone buy Avid brakes anymore?", I paid $400 for the same XT brake setup at Universal. :madman:

·
Swedetarded
527 Posts
I have an R build Nickel.

The 5's will stop you but they aren't the greatest brakes ever. But now that I have half a year on them, I can honestly say I would not purchase them if I found a great deal. I would not recommend them either, espically if you aren't an experienced wrench.

When bled, they work well. However, my rear brake WILL NOT stay bled. It will be fine for a few rides, but it is managing to suck in air somehow. If I pick the front of the bike up vertical for any reason and I have to pump the brake a few times to get my lever back, that is my indicator that it is time to bleed again. It won't do this after a fresh bleed, it usually takes 100K or so to need another bleed. And yes, I follow the Avid video to a T.

Mine only squeal, howl, sound like a velociraptor went it is wet. Yesterday, I had to listen to them for 4 hours (drizzling all day).

This winter I might replace them with XT (notice a trend here?) and put the 5's on my daughters bike. She rode a DH bike over the weekend at Åre and fell in love with hydraulic discs over her BB7's.........maybe I should start teaching HER how to bleed them.

Maybe ride them for a while, form your own opinion, then decide. I am in no hurry to replace mine, I am dealing with bleeding them every week (for now). I just know that there are better systems out there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.