Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cheesiest
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the reports of stripped mounts and longer bolts, has anyone mounted Avid BB discs on a Manitou Black? Did you use longer screws? If so, where could I get some? :confused:

·
ride
5,274 Posts
intheways said:
After reading the reports of stripped mounts and longer bolts, has anyone mounted Avid BB discs on a Manitou Black? Did you use longer screws? If so, where could I get some? :confused:
I've got Avid's mounted to a Black and have experienced no problems whatsoever. I used the bolts that came with the brakes. I've had the calipers on and off a few times with no problems.

If you find you need longer bolts, a good hardware store will have metric hex bolts in stock in varying sizes. Just bring your bolt in to match the pitch and size of the threads. Don't go too long, though.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
ignazjr said:
I've got Avid's mounted to a Black and have experienced no problems whatsoever. I used the bolts that came with the brakes. I've had the calipers on and off a few times with no problems.

If you find you need longer bolts, a good hardware store will have metric hex bolts in stock in varying sizes. Just bring your bolt in to match the pitch and size of the threads. Don't go too long, though.
If you follow accepted practices when working with hardware, you know that it is common to try to get at least the same depth as the bolt or screw is wide when working with threaded fasteners to achieve holding power potential of the fastener and that is when working with steel. When using a steel bolt in a softer metal like aluminum or magnesium, you need even more depth if you are going to tighten it down enough to have it hold properly and not come loose. Many times you will find that the stock bolts are not of a suitable length to prevent stripping of the threads when torqued to the brake makers specifications (as you are instructed to do by Manitou themselves).

Take the mounting bolt by itself and thread it into the lower fork leg where the caliper will mount as far as you can do so by just using your fingers. Ideally, you should be looking to use a bolt that will protrude form the caliper mount just slightly less than that. This will allow you to properly torque the bolt so that it will hold the caliper securely and also tension the bolt enough to keep it from coming loose and yet not strip the threads in the magnesium lowers that are only slightly stronger than cheese. When you feel that you have found bolts that are suitable, only torque them to 80 inch pounds regardless of what the brake maker's instructions say (Manitou supplied me with this torque setting along with longer bolts when I called them directly).

I have mounted Hayes discs to my daughter's two week old Black after initially stripping the lowers when following their published instructions. They replaced the lowers and supplied me with a packaged kit that contained longers bolts and new instructions.

I have also mounted Avid calipers to my Minute One, but mine are the 203mm rotors and require a post mount adaptor. I got some longer bolts on my own and torqued to 80 inch pounds with no problems so far.

·
Cheesiest
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great! Thanks for the advice. I'm planning on mounting a 185 on front.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts