Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hardtail with an Old Man Mountain Red Rock rack. I spend yesterday installing a pair of Avid Mechs on the bike. The front went on fine. It wasn't until I tried to install the rear caliper that I discovered the racks struts didn't allow room for calipers to be installed.
Am I missing an obvious solution other than removing the rack entirely? I don't want to have to buy and deal with a seatpost mounted rack if I can avoid the extra expense.

·
Old man on a bike
12,384 Posts
Doesn't sound good but I wonder why a bike would have both rack mounts and disc mounts but not be able to use 'em both...what bike is it? Post a pic?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Doesn't sound good but I wonder why a bike would have both rack mounts and disc mounts but not be able to use 'em both...what bike is it? Post a pic?
It's an Ibex Alpine 350. I guess it was to give you the "either/or" option of a rack or disc brakes. The bike came with no rack and regular V-brakes. I sent Old Man Mountain racks an email to see if they had any sort of adaptor or alternative brackets but haven't received a reply.
I do see that their Cold Springs rack has an adaptor that uses the quick release as a mount instead of eyelits. I could probably order this but it will really raise the center of gravity on my setup since I use a TopPeak trunk rack. Stability on ice is going to be a necessity during my Maine commutes.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts