Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my first juicy blowout. So while the juicys are at the factory getting replaced I needed something to ride with. I picked up a mech to keep on hand as a spare. When I mounted it up with the juicy rotor and frame adapter the rotor would hit the pad retaining clip in the center of the caliper. Well, out came the dremmel and between that and an additional washer I got the clearance necessary to run them. I have since contacted Avid/SRAM/RS and have been assured that both the rotor and adapter are interchangeable. So what gives? Tech support had no explanation, but did let me know that I should never take a dremmel to their product. Anyone else have rotor clearance issues? FWIW the frame has a 1pc machined dropout/IS disc mount.

2nd issue I have noticed is that my red/white sticker on the top of the caliper has been heat shrunk. Guess the caliper has achieved temperatures hot enough to melt the plastic sticker. Is this a common issue?

I have owned another set of avid cps brakes with none of these problems. Maybe this last one is really a dud.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
"Should Be" being the catch-all operative. The adapters "Should Be" the same because both the Juicy and Mech calipers & CPS washers are designed to bolt directly to a 74mm post mount (i.e. Manitou fork) and fit a 160mm rotor, so in theory the Avid IS adapter on an IS fork "Should Be" an almost exact duplicate of a post mount setup. The diameter of the Juicy wavey rotor "Should Be" exactly 160mm across to any of the highest point along the circumference. And I can confirm that my wife's Avid Mech equipped bike uses Hope wavey rotors, which "Should Be" similar enough to Avid's deal to at least verify that round rotors aren't a requirement (and they've been use with both IS & post mount setups).

I'd just throw a thin washer under each caliper and be done with it.

Don't know about the plastic decal melting. Is that kinda like a Shrinky-Dink? Mine have gotten hot enough that the rotors developed a very pleasant rainbow finish, but I haven't noticed any damage to the caiper bodies.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
I back up Nate on this...

All them are interchangeable. But small differences may arise.

I have CPS's too and for example the front rotor protudes like 0.5mm up the pads while the rear is sunk like the same amount into the pads. So a bit of shimming here and there might be the solution.

Check your pads. Fibrax for example are too big and leave 2mm on the top of the pad undisturbed which can eventually lead to more heating than a full contact pad/rotor.

For the "burnt" decal... it may happen but as Nate said, I had heated my rotors up that they look that beautiful blueish-brownish color but no signs of it on the caliper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts