Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you say anything, yes I just bled the brakes front and rear (rear is the one having issues). Got all the air out, and still happening.

Is it possible the lever is trapping air/ sucking in air?

I'm at a lost, so anything helps.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,327 Posts
SRAM sells seals if you can figure out where it's leaking. I wouldn't drop money on a piston when all you may need is a seal or if it's leaking at the caliper...or it could be air bubbles since the rear is more challenging to get them all out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SRAM sells seals if you can figure out where it's leaking. I wouldn't drop money on a piston when all you may need is a seal or if it's leaking at the caliper...or it could be air bubbles since the rear is more challenging to get them all out.
There is no leaks, I'll give it another go and if it still does it not sure what I'll do. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had similar issues with my Avid Elixir CRs. It was very hard to do a bleed without some air always getting into the levers. And I could do good bleeds with other brand brakes no problems. I think both Elixirs and Code Rs had similar design issues. Someone online once said that at the step where you still have the top syringe attached to the leaver, and you pull on the syringe plunger to create vacuum to get any last bubbles out, if you pull too hard, the piston seals in the levers will let air get past them (air will enter behind the lever, past the plungers). Those master cylinder piston seals were designed and tested to lock in pressure when you pull on the lever during normal brake operation, but they could not keep air out if you created too much vacuum inside the lever during the bleed. So if you are too avid with this step (pun intended) this could be your problem. I was able to get good bleeds once I dialed down the tugging on the lever syringe plunger.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had similar issues with my Avid Elixir CRs. It was very hard to do a bleed without some air always getting into the levers. And I could do good bleeds with other brand brakes no problems. I think both Elixirs and Code Rs had similar design issues. Someone online once said that at the step where you still have the top syringe attached to the leaver, and you pull on the syringe plunger to create vacuum to get any last bubbles out, if you pull too hard, the piston seals in the levers will let air get past them (air will enter behind the lever, past the plungers). Those master cylinder piston seals were designed and tested to lock in pressure when you pull on the lever during normal brake operation, but they could not keep air out if you created too much vacuum inside the lever during the bleed. So if you are too avid with this step (pun intended) this could be your problem. I was able to get good bleeds once I dialed down the tugging on the lever syringe plunger.
I think that is what happened, did a bleed this weekend and they seem to be good, atleast for now. I'll be back to this thread if i do

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.